Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hywelbane 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 16:45
    hywelbane

Umbraco slowness v.4.5.1 - IIS 7 ASP.NET v.4.0 Sql Server 2008

Hello:

I'm having a problem with an Umbraco site installed on a Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7 and Sql Server 2008.

The problem appears when there are more than 800 current connections (which I checked using the performance monitor): in that case, the site crashes and I have to stop the website and start it again.

It seems that somewhere, there are connections which are not properly closed. I've seen an old bug related to this applied to an earlier version of Umbraco (now it is closed and resolved).

I'm really frustrated.. the current connection counter gets higher and it collapses the web...

Thank you all!

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:11
    Jason Prothero

What are you seeing in the server logs?  Any exceptions?  DB timeouts?

Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:12
    Jason Prothero

Also, have you setup any caching for your macros? 

Jan 28, 2011 @ 09:25
    hywelbane

Hello, Jason (thank you for your answer):

I've checked the event logs, but there are no errors related to the high levels of current connections. It is strange: when I use performance monitor, I can see the variable "current connections" growing fast. When that variable reaches more than one thousand current connections, the site collapses and I have to stop the web publishing service. I will examine the DB configuration to see if the problem is related to it.

Thank you for all..

Jan 28, 2011 @ 17:53
    Jason Prothero

Yea, the version of SQL Server you are using could have a limit on the concurrent connections.

We are going through some of the same issues with a server that has a lot of sites on it.  So I'd love to see if you find anything that works.

We're trying to optimize everything (gzip, smart macro caching, etc) to squeak out as much performance as we can. 

Another thing we have found is that exceptions can cause things to escalate quickly.  So we are going through and addressing all the exceptions in the log that we can.

No silver bullet yet.

Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:59
    hywelbane

Hello, Jason:

The Sql version I've been using is Sql Standard Edition. We've been checking sql configuration, but we couldn't find anything strange. I've checked some templates which were using iframes as well (in order to verify if they could be the reason). Since 4 days ago, we have no performance problems... The IT Administrator is suspicious about some kind of malicious attack, but, today, he cannot give me any evidence of that assumption.

Anyway, thank you for your help.. I will be on alert...

Jan 31, 2011 @ 18:03
    Jason Prothero

Thanks for keeping me updated.  These kinds of issues are always tricky and I'm never quite satisfied that they are totally fixed... :)

• Mark Mitchell 35 posts 60 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 21:26
    Mark Mitchell

Do your connections ever close? It sounds like from your description that the number of open connections are only increasing and never closing. Perhaps you have a setting in IIS or in the web.config that is keeping the connections open longer than necessary or preventing them from closing even after the request has finished?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft