Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2011 @ 18:20
    Kris Janssen

4.6.1 Starter kit skin locations/modifications/removal

Hi guys,

Recently I needed to set up a website really quick. One that needed to look nice from the get go with minimal effort (I only had 3 hours to get it up and running).

I installed Umbraco 4.6.1 on the server. I installed:

Package name
    Business site
    Package version
    Author
    Umbraco HQ
    I also installed: 
    Package name
    u.media
    Package version
    Author
    Mediaworkers
    I seem to remember that I installed the first to have the basic parts of a website working and the other because it had some nice skins coming with it that I could modify.
    All well and nice but I am now faced with many questions: Umbraco still allows me to choose another skin using the "install skin" function. Three skins are listed: Friendly Ghost, Designit Green and another one which I cannot remember. If I make the mistake of accidentally installing one of those, My whole site gets messed up. I initially selected one of these skins and started modifying CSS and templates for it... So once I would make the mistake of selecting another skin, there is now no way back, other than a DB restore... I tried and skin application results in modification of my templates!!!
    I looked around in my install but there seems to be no way to find out where the skins are "stored" or what is handling their installation or how to remove those skins at options or even just to check out the different components that make up my skin.
    Could somebody clarify this a bit? I'd hate to go through all the trouble of looking in the Source Code of Umbraco itself to find out how all these bits and bobs work...
    Can I surgically remove those skins from my install (to prevent other admns to accidentally apply them)? There seems to be no binaries related to those skins, nor does looking at the physical packages folder provide any insight...
    Any advice is welcome!

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jan 28, 2011 @ 18:25
    Kris Janssen

Ok, I was to quick;

The masterpages directory contains a skin.xml which seems to control which masterpages get modified. 

However, who or what is governing execution of skins.xml and where does this entity get the actual content for its modifications?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft