Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bent Holz 100 posts 273 karma points
    Jan 31, 2011 @ 12:07
    Bent Holz

Noob installing... and failing

Hi...

Trying to give Umbraco 4.6.1 a stab with no SQL knowledge...

I have been trying to install Umbraco through the Microsoft Webmatrix (and manually), but it fails when it tries to create a database...

I have followed all on-screen requests, but end up with the following error: 

---------------------------
    Microsoft Web Application Gallery
    Cannot connect to the database ''.
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified).
    ---------------------------

I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 32bit and 64bit, and have installed everything (i think) is needed to run this.

I have a feeling it's because i need to make some settings before installing Umbraco, but have no idea which... Been looking through the guides in this forum, but they seem "out-dated"...

Is there a "noob-installation guide" somewhere, that takes it through step-by-step "you need to go install this or make sure that..."?

Thx...

• Christer Josefsson 55 posts 93 karma points
    Feb 07, 2011 @ 23:49
    Christer Josefsson

HereĀ“s a "noob-question" for you. Do you have an instance of SQL Server on your computer?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 07:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crawn

I don't know how the install process is through webmatrix but I've done many manual installs.

As Christer is saying you need to make sure that you have installed an SQL server on your machine. For instance MSSQL sever express 2008.

When installing it manually you'll need to create a database on the server before you start the umbraco installation When the database has been setup, you need to make sure you have the setup the IIS and given the umbraco root folder the proper permissions (should be set for network service and iusr).

Then you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 15, 2011 @ 08:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crawn

Did you progress with this?

/Jan

Feb 15, 2011 @ 13:38
    Bent Holz

Hi Christer/Jan

Yea... got SQL 2008 express installed, but no go...

So no progress... Tried on 3 diffrent machines now, and end up the same place...

/Crawn

Feb 22, 2011 @ 14:00
    Bent Holz

So... in lack of response I ventured on...

After reading page after page on the forum and via google... i stumbled over this page... http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/install-and-configure-sql-server-2008-express

With a bit of teeth grinding (running windows 7 and not everything is like in the guide) i got SQL Express up and running... HURRA!!!...

But alas...  after installing Umbraco through the MS webmatrix i've now hit another problem... During setup of umbraco, i choose to use SQL CE 4, but the instructions-link doesn't work...

On with "the show"...

Feb 22, 2011 @ 20:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crawn

If you managed to setup sql server 2008 express why did you choose to use SQL CE4 with webmatrix? I guess it's giving you a hard time since you'll have to manually copy the needed dll files over in the bin folder, in order for this to work at the moment? :-)

(Thanks for the link to the guide by the way, could probably benefit other people later on)

/Jan

Feb 22, 2011 @ 23:32
    Bent Holz

Hi Jan...

Well if you install Umbraco through Webmatrix, you can either choose local Sql or remote server... The SQL CS4 is first asked when umbraco is up and running (don't think it has anything to do with the webmatrix)... Thats why i'm installing SQL server 2008 Express...

So i know it's a long way around for something i'm hopefully not gonna use...

/Crawn

Feb 22, 2011 @ 23:43
    Bent Holz

OMG!...

Think i just figured out why the install through webmatrix was failing... I just put sa/sa as admin password for the sql db...  two characters are not valid password... Just put in 4 and everything ran smoothly...

I even got the SQL CE4 running now... oh joy!...

Lets see... next problem...

Will update as my install progresses...

/Crawn

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft