Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chris 69 posts 92 karma points
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 01:28
    chris

entire site restoration

I'm trying to simulate how to restore the entire site in case of disaster.

My set up is Win 08 R2 x64 with SQL 2008 R2 Express. On the live site, everything works great. So I have another server with identical setup. I copied the wwwroot from the live site to the new server.

I backed up the umbraco sql database from the live server, and do a restore on the new second server. the tables loaded, I assign umbraco user login/password, and it matches the connectiong string in the web.config.

I fire up the browser, and I get the error that page can't be loaded. I turned off custom error, and I got nothing. Is this the correct way of having a restore? How do you guys do your umbraco backup and restore?

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 10:06
    Ismail Mayat

did u set permissions correctly on the target server?

Regards

Ismail

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 10:33
    Rich Green

Sounds like the right way to me, though as Ismail states, you should check your permissions.

Also, it might help if you login to the Umbraco backend and publish some nodes.

Rich 

Feb 02, 2011 @ 18:04
    chris

I set the permission correctly, networkservice for app pool and on the wwwroot folder. I removed the orphaned umbraco login from sql and recreate another with same name and password, with datareader/datawriter/public permission.

I cannot get to the backend and publish since the site is not coming up. I know the IIS works, if I delete umbraco files, I get IIS to come up with error. With umbraco files in place, the site won't even give any errors with customerror set to off.

Feb 02, 2011 @ 18:12
    Ismail Mayat

what version of iis are you using also do u have under documents tab default.aspx set?

Regards

Ismail

Feb 02, 2011 @ 19:14
    chris

IIS is 7.5. it's the same version as the IIS in the live site that is currently running. the default is default.aspx, it's the same config as the live site. The settings is identical since I copied web.config from live site to the 2nd site.

Same OS, same SQL version, same current windows update. the only difference is the ip address, and on the 2nd server I don't have any bindings for obvious reason.

• Mats Persson 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 21:08
    Mats Persson

Hi Chris,

you might want to check file area access. It's been know to happen that IIS will not be able to access the wwwroot files copied from one location to another. Set permissions to Everyone at first and work from there.

Feb 03, 2011 @ 00:25
    chris

Let's just say it's not a permission problem. I have full control of this server, it's not a shared hosting. I reinstall everything from scratch, it seems that there may be a corruption in the web.config file. Unfortunately the error message is not indicating where the bad section is. I tried copying the web.config from the live working iis using explorer, using robocopy, none worked.

Feb 03, 2011 @ 10:03
    Ismail Mayat

are you using umbraco 4.5.2 if so on your working server is it set to .net4 and on your target .net35 thats when you get the error above.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft