Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MartinB 411 posts 512 karma points
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 21:14
    MartinB

Splitting up multi-site umbraco installation

Hi there

A client of mine who has two sites in one umbraco installation, asked how dificult it would be to extract one of the sites, in case one of the businesses was sold.

Does anyone have experience with this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 22:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin

Not that I have tried this before, but I'm thinking it should be possible to make a packages of the one of the branches and easily reimport the site into another Umbraco instance.

However I can suspect that there needs to be done some manual labour with potentiel custom installed or 3. party installed datatypes in order to make sure they exists so the document types does not fail if they reference a datatype that is non-existent.

I think it could also be possible to make a dump of the database and import it onto another instance and then just delete the branch that should not exist in the install. (Files would also need to be copied of course).

Just some thought that I hope can be usefull to you. It's definately possible to achieve it's just a matter of finding the most efficient and secure approach I guess :-)

/Jan

Feb 02, 2011 @ 23:06
    MartinB

Hi Jan

Currently the second option is the most appealing and i also thought of that, i just need to be sure that all templates, datatypes and xslts would be functional when copied from one webserver to another?

The package method seems like a nice little project, any further details in this direction from anyone would be much appreciated :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 02, 2011 @ 23:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin

Yes the files should work fine when copied I think :)

/Jan

Feb 08, 2011 @ 20:47
    MartinB

Awesome-sauce!

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft