Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Blonsky 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 04, 2011 @ 22:47
    Paul Blonsky

HTTP 403 Forbidden when I click Let's Get Started

I have run the web platform installer for 4.6.1 and everything completed fine and I get the first screen that Welcomes me to the Umbraco installation, but when I click Lets get started the server returns a 403 error. I have assigned permissions to the Umbraco directories as full to EVERYONE to try to troubleshoot this problem with no success. Any advice?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 05, 2011 @ 12:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

What does your IIS settings look like in the application pool? What happens if you just gives full permissions for network service and iusr on the umbraco root folder? (This should be enough, I'm suspecting it could be something in the app pool settings).

/Jan

Feb 05, 2011 @ 14:37
    Paul Blonsky

It is using the default application pool running as NETWORK SERVICE. I already gave that account full rights to the root Umbraco folder as well as giving the IIS anon account full rights. I tried changing the authentication from anonymous to Windows and when I do that, I still get the first welcome screen before being prompted for a user name, the authentication popup box comes up though and I enter a domain admin user and password and the login goes away. However, when I click the Let's get started button I still get a 403 error. This is a fresh install of IIS on a new virtual server just to test Umbraco, so it should be vanilla.

Feb 05, 2011 @ 14:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Is the app pool set to classic or integrated mode and is it run by network service?

/Jan

Feb 05, 2011 @ 14:45
    Paul Blonsky

It's IIS6, so it's classic and it's run by Network Service yes.

Feb 11, 2011 @ 22:53
    Paul Blonsky

I upgraded to a server with IIS7 and the problem did not occur there. Is Umbraco offcially now unsupported on IIS6? The requirements I saw said TBD.

Feb 11, 2011 @ 23:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Umbraco should be able to run on IIS6 and should not be unsupported as far as I know. I have even heard of people running Umbraco 4.x.x on IIS5...So I guess it's been a configuration issue somehow...but hard to tell really :-)

But I'm happy to hear you had the option of upgrading IIS so you can move on with the project.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft