Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hellopeach 6 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 05, 2011 @ 11:55
    hellopeach

Problems installing Umbraco 4.6.1 under Application folder

Currently I have no choice but to install the CMS under an Application folder on IIS7.5, and I hear Umbraco 4.6.1 does support Application folder (virtual directory) out of the box. The installation itself goes smooth, but after finishing the installation and going to the site, it seems a lot of things are wrong or missing.

For example, the admin page (the application folder is named "umbraco", so the admin pages are under /umbraco/umbraco/) cannot load all those dashboard controls, I need to modify the settings in config/Dashboard.config to add those ~'s for them to show up, but then a lot of the background images are not showing because the paths in styles are lacking ~'s. Also the Simple Starter Kit with Designit Green skin do not show correctly since it does not seem to install the umbTopNavigation xslt files in the xslt folder, and the Designit Green folder is missing from the masterpages folder. It seems the Starter Kit and skin installation didn't not execute correctly during installation, I guess because of incorrect path handling.

So is there any guide on how to install Umbraco 4.6.1 under an application folder, or am I doing something wrong since it's supposed to support it out of the box? Thanks.

Feb 06, 2011 @ 07:02
    hellopeach

These are screenshots of what I get after finishing the installation:

Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:54
    hellopeach

anyone? thanks.

• Russ 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 21:29
    Russ

I have exactly the same issues and did exactly the same thing as you with Dashboard.config, seems like some installation glitches, very odd, not really sure what we've done. This is the third installation I've done and I can't work out why it's doing it.... :-/

Maybe a problem with this version? There are other people with this issue too I have noticed.

Russell

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 21:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

how do you set permissions for network service and iusr when using an application folder? Also what settings do you have in the app pool?

/Jan

Feb 08, 2011 @ 21:45
    Russ

Hi Jan,

My setup up is on a shared webserver, it's not local. I don't have the option to set permissions for network service. I have set the permissions on all the folders though as it says in the wiki with permissions for these users. Since it's a shared webserver, I don't have access to application pool permissions.

Plesk IIS User (IUSR_attunedd)

Plesk IIS WP User (IWAM_plesk(default))

Hope that makes sense, I'm at a loss! :-(

Russell

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 21:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Russel

Which hosting provider are you using?

Could you try to contact them and ask if the app pool is running integrated mode?

/Jan

Feb 08, 2011 @ 22:03
    Russ

Thanks Jan!

I'm with ukhost4u, I'll ask them about that.

Russell

• Martin Kirk 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 13:29
    Martin Kirk

Hi there...

The problems you are getting, is caused byu the fact that Umbraco needs to be installed directly into wwwroot !

I installed it into a subfolder called 'Umbraco' => http://localhost/Umbraco/

This will cause Umbraco to fail totally !!!

you'll need to add a new Website to your IIS and install umbraco into its root folder (since Umbraco uses URLRewrite you dont have a choice !! )

Feb 13, 2011 @ 15:22
    hellopeach

Hi Martin,

I think I've read somewhere that Umbraco started to support virtual directories out of the box since version 4.5 or something, and those paths in web.config do have ~'s in front of them, so I think it's meant to work in virtual directories?

The problem is that I have no rights to install Umbraco in the root level, so if I can't install Umbraco under an application folder, then I have no choice but to look for another CMS :(

• Martin Kirk 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 14, 2011 @ 09:01
    Martin Kirk

Hellopoeach:

They might have made support for virtual directories - but it's not working perfectly out of the box... so you might need to tweak a few config files before Umbraco works flawlessly... 

Feb 14, 2011 @ 12:02
    Russ

Thanks for the reply Martin, I am having this exact issue. I don't have rights to add in applications into the IIS. Is there a good resource on installing umbraco under a virtual directory?

My only other option is another CMS or I guess a better option is virtual private server...!

Cheers,

Russell

Feb 20, 2011 @ 09:18
    hellopeach

so anyone knows any documentations or instructions on how to install Umbraco into a virtual directory? Thanks!

• Voy 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 27, 2011 @ 09:59
    Voy

Same problem, still an issue in 4.7.1. Installation works ok but no umbTopNavigation or any other xslt scripts. Just doesn't work out of the box.

My installation profile:

Windows 7 64-bit, SQL Server Express (V10.0.4000.0) 64-bit, all standard folders c:\inetpub\wwwroot, I name the application "umbraco" during installation, so application installs itself under umbraco subfolder. Database user is set up correctly, all the schema gets created ok. I select to install simple schema, tells me it completed. I preview and get a rather ugly display as above. xslt directory is still empty.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas... Where are the missing xslt? they certainly aren't in the 4.7.1 zip file I tried to download separately - yes, I did unblock the zip file first. Help someone, please!

UPDATE: Got it working (finally!), as per other posts on this thread, trick is to install it in its own webroot (i.e. do NOT name the application). This issue had clearly been around for some time, installer should really not offer ability to name application if this is not supported!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft