Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 13:09
    Kyle Skrinak

sql server connection problems

Hey all.

umbraco 4.52, Win2008 Server, SQL Server 2008

I have moved an umbraco files and data from one machine to another (a localhost-only development setup) However, everything is hosted locally; files and data.

In MS SQL Server Mgmt Studio, I created the database, restored the data, and assigned it a user, "client-umbraco" using these instructions: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008 I can access the database just fine via SQL Server Mgmt Studio using the "client-umbraco" logon, confirming my user/password credentials.

However, I get a connection error when I try to access my site, using WebMatrix. Neither the WM client nor umbraco access the db. I get the "Login failed for user "client-umbraco"

In my event viewer, I get this message "Could not find a login matching the name provided" but no state information returned.

What am I missing?

Help!

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Feb 10, 2011 @ 19:24
    Lesley

Hi Kyle,

Did you run the SQL Server Configuration Manager yet? I'm wondering whether you need to enable TCP/IP so that remote connections can be made.

Lesley

Feb 10, 2011 @ 19:55
    Kyle Skrinak

Lesley; thanks for the response. I've learned that the server specification may be a path, and I had fully formed the path consistently between SQL Studio Mgmt and umbraco. Once I did, I was golden. Thanks again!

Feb 17, 2011 @ 15:32
    Kyle Skrinak

I'm awarding Lesley with the "solution" (thanks for the suggestion!) but actually, I figured it out.

For those incumbered with a lack of ms sql familiarity (hello!), it's was the difference between:

1. machine-name
    2. machine-name\sqlexpress (this also works: .\sqlexpress )

When connecting via the sql 2008 r2 studio manager 

I was acessing the first, but the db was at the second path.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft