Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jim Rota 9 posts 29 karma points
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 22:16
    Jim Rota

Multiple domains, Master page, copy/paste, etc.

Our Umbraco was setup and configured by a 3rd party and now I have become the administrator.  We currently have 2 domains using the system and need to setup several more.  While the content for each domain is not shared, certain applications (forms) are shared.

I thought it should be easy to copy an existing site, remove unwanted pages, add new pages, etc.  This worked...very easy.  The "Preview" works but when you go to domain3.com it displays domain1.com pages.

What am I missing? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 22:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jim

Have you added the hostname for domain3.com in the "manage hostnames" for the root node in Umbraco? If yes, have you then made sure the webserver has been configured properly?

/Jan

Feb 11, 2011 @ 22:42
    Jim Rota

Yes, I have added the hostname(s) for the new site's node.  I'm guessing our IT department is not clear on how to configure the webserver to talk to Umbraco...is there anything specific I can tell them or refer them to?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 11, 2011 @ 22:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jim

They should just make a site in the IIS that's having domain3.com in the host header I guess. Surely they must know what they have done to make the other sites work previously, right? :)

/Jan

Feb 18, 2011 @ 22:32
    Jim Rota

No, they did not setup the first 2 sites...we hired a developer who did that.

After doing more research into Umbraco, I think the steps are:

1.  Create a new database in MS SQL called "newdomain"

2.  In the IIS webserver, copy the Umbraco files to a new subdirectory (also called "newdomain").

3.  Fix the permission on the above folders.

4.  Run the /install/default.aspx page.

As far as I can tell you need to do the above steps first before copying a node and setting the hostnames within the Umbraco admin.

Am I correct?

Jim

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft