Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam 184 posts 209 karma points
    Feb 13, 2011 @ 12:51
    Sam

Installing umbraco 4.6.1 on plesk shared host

I used the old documentation on how to set up umbraco but I noticed it's missing so I'm trying to replace best I can.

This is the way I did it, I don't know what most of the stuff does on the plesk control panel, however, Umbraco's up and running and that's the desired result :)

1) Choose .NET 4 support on your control panel under your domain settings.

2) Create a MS SQL (or MySQL - I used the former though) database and remember the names (or even better, write them down). You will need the following when you get to the umbraco install: DB SERVER ie sql7.myhost.com (or whetever your hosts is), DB NAME (what you called it), DB USER NAME (your chosen user name) and DB PASS (your chosen password).

2) Download umbraco 4.6.1 http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/59025

3) Unzip umbraco 4.6.1 on your desktop so you will now have a folder called 'build'. Go into the build folder and re-zip all the files inside and call it whatever you want. This just makes sure all the folders are in the ROOT of the zip file now. This new zip file is the one you'll be uploading in your plesk control panel.

4) Go to your control panel, click file manager, click httpdocs (this is where the umbraco files will go). Click 'Add New File'. Check the 'Upload file' radio button. Browse to your zip file that you created earlier and select it. CHECK the '' box. Click OK.

5) Once uploaded you will have all the files in the correct place.

6) Set permissions in plesk 'File manager' using the little padlock icon on the right hand side of the screen.

Once you click on the padlock you go to a new screen.

So for each of the folders you will do this:

i) Click the padlock

ii) Uncheck 'Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here'

iii) Click Plesk IIS User, set permissions

iv) Click Plesk IIS WP User, set permissions

v) Click OK

DONE, move onto next folder, don't let the fact you have to do this 17 times put you off! Automated script would be nice but not on your pleask shared host! :(

**PERMISSIONS TO SET**

app_code - read and execute (RX)

app_browsers - read and execute (RX)

app_data - modify (M)

bin - modify (M)

config - modify (M)

css - modify (M)

data - modify (M)

install - read and execute (RX)

masterpages - modify (M)

media - modify (M)

python - modify (M)

scripts - modify (M)

umbraco - modify (M)

umbraco_client - read and execute - (RX)

usercontrols - modify (M)

xslt - modify (M)

web.config - modify (M) <------- this one's a file, not a folder, but the process is the same

7) Now once this is done, go to your domain name www.site.com or whatever it is, and you will be redirected to www.yoursite.com/install/default.aspx?redir=true&url=/

8) Follow the on screen instructions, enter your database info and your good to go.

Please note if you have questions about any other type of control panel, I probably wont know what the hell you're talking about! Good luck! :)

Sam.

ps please could someone tell me if any of the permissions need to be shut off after install. I'm not sure about that. Thanks.

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Feb 13, 2011 @ 13:07
    Lesley

Hi Sam,

This is a great guide, thanks. Would you like to copy it to the wiki where it will be even more useful?

To answer you question, it's best practice to remove (or at least rename) the install folder, for security. You can probably also remove the Modify permission on web.config.

Cheers,

Lesley

• Sam 184 posts 209 karma points
    Feb 13, 2011 @ 13:17
    Sam

Hi Lesley,

I started it just wanting to write about permissions but though what the hell and did the whole thing, I could have done with something like this when I first had to install umbraco. I'm pretty comfortable with it now.

Thanks for the permissions info, I can copy the guide no probs with the added information :)

Sam.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft