Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Janet Kirklen 102 posts 212 karma points
    Feb 16, 2011 @ 19:55
    Janet Kirklen

Error in Audit Trail on scheduled publishing

Running 4.5.2 on .Net 3.5, I'm getting the error below only when using the scheduled publishing (Publish At on the properties tab):

Error publishing node: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     
            at umbraco
    .presentation.UmbracoContext.get_Current()    
            at umbraco
    .library.GetXmlNodeById(String id)    
            at umbraco
    .presentation.nodeFactory.Node..ctor(Int32 NodeId)    
            at
    InfoCaster.Umbraco._301UrlTracker.Base301URLTracker.Document_BeforePublish(Document doc, PublishEventArgs e)    
            at umbraco
    .cms.businesslogic.web.Document.PublishEventHandler.Invoke(Document sender, PublishEventArgs e)    
            at umbraco
    .cms.businesslogic.web.Document.FireBeforePublish(PublishEventArgs e)    
            at umbraco
    .cms.businesslogic.web.Document.PublishWithResult(User u)    
            at umbraco
    .cms.businesslogic.web.Document.Publish(User u)    
            at umbraco
    .presentation.publishingService.CheckPublishing(Object sender)
    It looks like it's trying to access the node in the xml before it's been published? Not sure why it would only do this when publishing on a schedule?  The page still seems to publish at the right time.  I don't know if this error indicates other issues.
    In some additional testing I've also noticted that the Remove At feature is not working.  I was expecting that the page would un-publish at the Remove At date/time,but nothing happens.
  • Tara 20 posts 40 karma points
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 18:17
    Tara

I am also trying to get scheduled publishing to work and am getting a very similar error in the audit trail. 

Error publishing node: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
    at umbraco.presentation.UmbracoContext.get_Current() 
    at umbraco.library.GetXmlNodeById(String id) 
    at UmbracoExamine.ContentExtensions.ToXDocument(Content node, Boolean cacheOnly) 
    at UmbracoExamine.UmbracoEventManager.content_AfterUpdateDocumentCache(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) 
    at umbraco.content.DocumentCacheEventHandler.Invoke(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) 
    at umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) 
    at umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) 
    at umbraco.presentation.publishingService.CheckPublishing(Object sender) 

Can anyone help with why this may not be working? (running v 4.6.1 .net 4)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 18:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tara

I don't think it's something to worry about if the pages do publish on the sceduled time - I have just checked the audit trail on some of the pages on a minor site I'm running, which was set to publish some nodes earlier today.

The nodes have been published fine but contains the same error message in the audit trail. Probably because it's something is trying to access the node before it's been published.

In short, if the nodes are published at the specified date and time I don't think it's something to worry about :-) - If it does not publish, then it's of course something that should be investigated further.

/jan

• Tara 20 posts 40 karma points
    Mar 01, 2011 @ 12:39
    Tara

The nodes are not publishing at the 'publish at' time. 

Within Umbraco they are saying that they are published, but on the site it delivers a 404 page not found.

Any ideas?

• Frank van Rooijen 15 posts 35 karma points
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 16:38
    Frank van Rooijen

I had the same problem in our development environment. The problem was actually that everyone of our developers had his own iis instance and we were all connecting to the same database.

So once I unpublished a document and added a schedule (publish at date) to it. The node got published in the cms, but didn't show up on my screen. The reason for this is simple. When umbraco starts the publishingTimer is set to load very 60 seconds. So the first instance of an iis that triggers his publishing timer published the document in the cms, and updated only his local cache. This is why it didn't show up on my screen.

Took me some time to figure that one out.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft