Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Powellze 38 posts 73 karma points
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 16:02
    Powellze

Upgrade to 4.6.1 - Updating database tables... Problem

I am having some issues in upgrading from an old version of umbraco to 4.6.1. I have checked the web.config and it states the Configuation status is 4.0.2.1 so I am assuming this is the current version.

Problem

When upgrading to 4.6.1, we get to Stage 3 - Database of the installation wizard it is at this point that the upgrade fails and hangs with the following status stuck at 35% 'updating database tables...'. (below).

I have tried some ways to get round this and all I can currently see is that the database is not fully updated from the old version?

Platform and setup

Anyway I have followed the update instructions with a few modifications:

• On our developement platform we are running SQL 2008 R2, for installation purposes I am using the 'sa' user which will have full ownership for the database.
    • IIS7.5 - website & app pool & directories have full read/write/modify permissions etc
    • The original database used to run on SQL 2000 so we have restored this from 2000 to 2008 and changed the compatibility level to run at 2008. In addition to this the Collation was changed the the one that was listed on Codeplex (same issue we are having that the upgrade hangs.)
    • The files for 461 have been extracted two different ways including using windows explorer and the 'unblock files'

If anyone has any further ideas please can you let me know?

Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:08
    Powellze

Working -> Looks like I have got round this.

I have updated to 4.5.2 and then updated to 4.6.1.

The database would not update using just 4.6.1 alone, but once 4.5.2 had done its bits I was able to run 4.6.1.

Quick question though, I assume that 461 doesnt have any database changes at all from 452?

Tim

• Profiterole 232 posts 264 karma points
    Feb 18, 2011 @ 18:51
    Profiterole

Hi, I think you're right. I downgrade from 4.6.1 to 4.5.2 just by replacing files and everything worked. So there's must be no changes in databaseé

Feb 21, 2011 @ 10:18
    Powellze

Thanks for your reply Profiterole.

I will let you know if I come across any unknown issues :)

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 17:41
    Paul A

@Powellze When you say you went to 4.5.2 first, do you mean you started the whole process again, or just dumped 4.5.2 files over the top? I'm having the same prob... if I hit back and then 'next' it says 'success' but there are a few weird things happening.

Mar 04, 2011 @ 16:12
    Powellze

Hi Paul,

I had a backup of all the files so I reinstated them and the database which was version 4.0.x

I then copied all the 4.5.2 files over the top of the old ones, then the upgrade from the install directory.

Last step was then to copy in 4.6.1 over the top of the 4.5.2 files and then run the installer again (which I saw no changes to the database this time).

That was it, since then the project has been perfect and I have encountered no issues. I hope this helps you Paul.

Tim

• Chris Knowles 141 posts 222 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 16:32
    Chris Knowles

Hi Paul,

I had exactly this on a 4.6.1 clean install and it was due to incorrect permissions set on the database. Once i sorted these out, i ran the installer again and it worked perfectly. Check your umbraco user has db_datareader, db_datawriter and db_ddladmin roles for this database. 

I use SQL 2005 on IIS6 btw.

Thanks

Chris

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Mar 11, 2011 @ 10:27
    Paul A

Thanks @Powellze and @Chris. I'm doing a big upgrade today so these pointers will help.

• Thomas 49 posts 78 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2011 @ 09:34
    Thomas

This is caused by a bug in the install code - the format of the code makes it hard to spot - but below reformatted section from \umbraco\presentation\install\utills\p.aspx.cs shows the problem - the first block is incorrect and should be removed:

Howver, when you see the "35% Updatings database tables..." the code has already checked it can connect and upgrade your database. The Install() call it self is a quick set of SQL statements - only takes a couple of seconds to run - and the RefreshContent() is async (will run separately in another thread) so if you have been looking at the "35 upgrading tables" for a little while it's pretty safe to assume that this has completed without errors, and hitting F5 will then force a recheck of your database which should send you on to the next step.

• Lou 59 posts 169 karma points
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 23:55
    Lou

Hitting F5 didn't help me, it still freezes.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft