Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kathy Wilber 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 20, 2011 @ 23:10
    Kathy Wilber

Installation, and databse

I've tried many times, searched documentation and this forum, and on day two of frustraion with trying to install Umbraco I just need to step back and ask:

Are there any instructions for installing Umbraco on Vista, with IIS 7, using the framework 3.5 version for a site in a 3.5 application pool, where the database is an SQL 2005 express database, and where the connection string (which works fine in Visual Studio) is as shown in the web.config:

<

add name="ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Any attempt to use that database in the install proces gives:

"Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

And that's where I'm stuck: I can't get past step two of the installation.

Are there any wise and kind people who can help?

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 21, 2011 @ 04:14
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Kathy,

I've never used AttachDbFilename myself to be honest, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with your problem. Additionally don't know if the authentication will work that way with Umbraco. To rule those out you could do the following:

- Attach the MDF file in SQL Server Management Studio, so you've got a 'proper' database name

- create a new SQL user (using SQL authentication, untick 'enforce password policy') and make the user db_owner of the database

Then use this connection string: Data Source=.SQLEXPRESS;database=[your db name];user id=[sql user name];password=[sql user password].

Just an idea, maybe I even missed the point somehow, but maybe it helps. :)

Sascha

• Kathy Wilber 2 posts 22 karma points
    Feb 21, 2011 @ 09:37
    Kathy Wilber

Sascha,  thank-you for your suggestion.

As it turns out, the connection string was not the problem.  I ended up having to open up permissions (as expected for the Umbaco folders), and make changes to the application pool identity settings.  The last step, once the database connection was working and the install was trying to save the Umbraco data into the database, was to make the database writable for "Everyone" before it could finish.

Now I need a break before actually trying it out....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft