Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Knowles 141 posts 222 karma points
    Feb 21, 2011 @ 14:31
    Chris Knowles

4.6.1 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have a clean install of 4.6.1 on Win2k3, IIS6, SQL 2005 and get the following when i try and create a new node:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +54
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +552
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +32
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +140
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +197
       System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +79
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.OnInit(EventArgs e) +1173
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +140
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +480

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

As there is no specific place to look for this error i'm unsure how to solve it.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks

Chris

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 21, 2011 @ 22:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris

Is it when you click on the "create" button this error happens or is it when you have chosen what document type you want to add?

/Jan

• Chris Knowles 141 posts 222 karma points
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 10:35
    Chris Knowles

Jan,

Thanks for your answer but i think i've sorted it out.

I created a Document Type called Home and gave it some tabs and generic properties. I then created another Document Type called Textpage and this was a child item of the Home type.

I added another control onto one of the tabs that i'd created in the Home type, this appears to be a new feature in 4.6.1, and i think it was adding this property that caused this problem as when i removed it this error went away.

Thanks

Chris

Feb 22, 2011 @ 20:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris

Yes the inheritance stuff has gotten a makeover making it even more flexible and useable. Unfortunately it has been a bit buggy in version 4.6.1 - This is fixed in the coming v4.7 release though.

If it's a big issue for you it's possible to get the latest nightly build from nightly.umbraco.org and copy over the bin,install,umbraco and umbraco_client folder (remember to backup you installation first) and then if everything is succesfull you should be good to go.

I have done it on a minor installation of mine.

/Jan

• Sam Pearson 36 posts 89 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:34
    Sam Pearson

Hi Jan

Been reading through this thread as the company I work for are currently developing a blog using blog 4 umbraco on version 4.6.1. We're getting the same error on the creation of new blog posts, but only on the first (and sometimes second) attempts....then it tends to work ok.

Would downloading the latest folders from nightly.umbraco.org correct this error? If so would we have to get the folders from 4.6.2beta or 4.7?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

• Sam Pearson 36 posts 89 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:55
    Sam Pearson

Actually dont worry, we've just solved it by turning off pingServices as suggested on this thread

Sam

Mar 30, 2011 @ 14:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sam

Just came across this post again - Good to hear you found a solution and thanks for sharing :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft