Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad Hunt 26 posts 57 karma points
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 03:46
    Brad Hunt

4.6.1 with MySQL - Database connection initialisation failed

Hi-

I have installed Umbraco successfully numerous time using Microsoft SQL, but on my first attempt to use MySQL, I keep getting the error "Database connection initialisation failed."  

I am using Windows 7, 64 bit and have IIS 7.5 installed. I installed a fresh copy MySQL and have selected the MySQL database on step 3 of the installation wizard. I have what I believe to be the appropriate information for server, DB name, username and password.

I have tried many variations of these values including attempting to install on remote mySQL machine at a shared web host. I have confirmed that I can connect to both the local and remote installs with mySQL workbench.

I have tried step 3 using root credentials as well as a user I set up with specific permissions to this database.

I have checked file permissions and did a test to prove I could install on an MSSQL instance still running on this machine. I have stopped MSSQL service. I have tried to add port 3306 on the server connection. I have manually set the connection string in web.config. 

I have searched the forums to see if others have had this problem, but the typical response has been that setting this four values works for most people and to check permissions or connection information.

I also right clicked on the zip file and unblocked before I extracted the zip, and I tried a completely separate install of v 4.5.2 thinking it might be a bug in the latest version.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to try next?

Thanks,

Brad

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 08:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brad

That's odd. However I don't think it's a bug in the latest version since I have installed an instance of 4.6.1 on MySQL on a shared host - the installation went smoothly.

But unfortunately I don't have the magic bullet for you...it's really odd since it sounds like you got it working with a 4.5.2?

/Jan

Feb 22, 2011 @ 14:15
    Brad Hunt

Jan-

Sorry I was not clear in my description. I was able to install 4.6.1 using Microsoft SQL.

I was not able to install using MySQL on 4.6.1 OR on 4.5.2. So I cannot seem to use MySQL at all. I also don't think it is a bug in 4.6.1. I think it is something with MySQL or my setup. But since I also cannot connect to a remote mySQL server, I am not sure what the problem is.

Brad

Feb 26, 2011 @ 15:47
    Brad Hunt

As a further update, I have tried an install on a completely seperate network with a different computer using 4.6.1 and I am still getting the same error "Database connection initialisation failed" when trying to install using MySQL.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks so much.

Brad

• Cristiano 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 27, 2011 @ 20:28
    Cristiano

Hi guys, sorry but I have about the same problem with MySQL db.

I tried to install Umbraco with mu MySQL db but the location is the phisical location of my db or what ?

Thank you

Cristiano

Feb 27, 2011 @ 20:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Christiano

Yes, the location should be the destination of your physical DB - is it on the same machine as your website?

@Brad: Hmm, and you're sure there has not been a typo or something that's easy to overlook in situations like these?

/Jan

Feb 27, 2011 @ 22:58
    Brad Hunt

Jan-

Thanks for trying to help. I am cutting and pasting the server name from the web host control panel as to make sure there are no typos. It does not work. With this same server name I can successfully make a connection to the remote server using mySQL workbench.

Is there anything different at all about a mySQL install vs MS SQL install? Are the same steps followed except for the connection string information?

thanks

brad

Mar 03, 2011 @ 05:10
    Brad Hunt

Hi-

I was finally able to solve this problem, and while embarassed by the cause, I will post the resolution in case it helps someone else.

1) When I installed MySQL, i did not check the box to add a firewall exception for mySQL. (Apparently there was a rule automatically added for the mySQL workbench, so when that was connecting to the DB, I thought 3306 was open)

2) in addition to the standard windows firewall, I also have a mcafee firewall as part of security center, and this needed to be configured as well.

Once those were resolved, the install worked as expected. 

Brad

Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brad

Glad to hear you got it solved and thanks for sharing the solution - It will no doubt benefit others if they find this post and are having similar issues.

/Jan

• Kevin Walker 66 posts 87 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 23:48
    Kevin Walker

Brad, with regards to your solution, can you be more detailed in how you actually got this to work in terms of steps taken. Im having the same issue in that the installer simply wont run for a remote mySQL database when being run from my local PC. I can connect to the mySQL DB with mySQL Workbench, however the Umbraco installer says 'Database connection initialisation failed.'

Really frustrating so any help would be greatly appreciated. Im using Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Kev

May 12, 2011 @ 23:54
    Brad Hunt

Kevin-

I have McAfee security center installed on my computer. It had an additional firewall that I was not aware of. I went into the firewall settings and selected the option to turn off the firewall entirely for a period of time.

Do you have McAfee security center installed?

If you only have Windows Firewall installed, go to Control Panel-->Windows Firewall. Then select "Allow a program or feature through a windows firewall" from nav on upper left.

Then click CHANGE SETTINGS and then ALLOW ANOTHER PROGRAM at the bottom. Navigate to the program for mySQL and add it.

In my case I had trouble when the files and database were both running locally on my own machine. If you are trying to connect to a remote DB server, you might also have to check the firewall that might be part of your internet router.

Hope that helps.

Brad

• Kevin Walker 66 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 08, 2011 @ 12:18
    Kevin Walker

The remedy for this is to add the port into the connection string when connecting locally.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft