Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Deron Johnson 83 posts 114 karma points
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 21:29
    Deron Johnson

New Install Question

I am in the planning phase of installing Umbraco 4.6.1 into a load balanced (2 server) environment using DFS file replication for file replication across both machines.   I see no mention of the actual database being replicated across more than one machine and find very little on the subject in the small amount of info on a load balanced Umbraco environments.  So in a setup like mine is the answer to run the database on one machine only?  Just trying to plan out the best HA LB environment we can configure.  Thanks for any feedback....

Feb 22, 2011 @ 21:32
    Deron Johnson

Also, what DB's (and versions) are supported?  Can't seem to find info on that yet...thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 21:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Deron

I know that there is a video on setting up load balancing on umbraco.tv, which you could probably benefit from watching. Other great videos are in there as well so the 19€ are well spent I think.

Hope this is of any use.

/Jan

Feb 22, 2011 @ 22:15
    Deron Johnson

Currently I am awaiting our Marketing staff to get the FULL (w/support) license so I can obtain access to the videos.   They are having issues getting a payment to Europe.  PayPal issues from what I hear.  Anyway,  I may suggest they hold up on that payment since these basic questions that should be in minimum requirements or FAQ's cannot be answered apparently (other than recommending a pay video site).   It makes me wonder what other info I will need to pay for.    I don't doubt there is great info on the pay site for $19, I just have problems paying for something that should be available in system requirement basics documentation needed for product evaluation and platform fit.   I hate to pay that much for support and then find out what I am attempting is not supported.  Would be a big waste of money don't you think?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2011 @ 22:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Deron

There are probably a couple of users in here who have done some succesfull load-balancing, who can share their experiences with you. I just pointed you to a ressource where I know you can find some information.

I can understand that you don't like the idea of paying for something that may turn out to not be helpfull. But if you at some point decide that Umbraco is the right fit for you then it's worth the money without a doubt.

I just found this entry about load balancing in the WIKI: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments - don't know if this could be what you're after?

/Jan

Feb 22, 2011 @ 22:39
    Deron Johnson

Thanks Jan, yes that is the same document I found and I found a couple of forum posts on the subject but none really addressed the database side but seemed to allude to them only having one database.  I assumed that they are just backing their DB's up.  Doesn't really make it HA unless that DB is clustered though, which is a requirement for us (at this stage anyway).  That and the databases supported would be something I would expect to find more information on.   Thanks for the feedback.  I'll see if anyone else has anything to add.....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft