Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 23, 2011 @ 10:22
    William

How to install existing umbraco site to IIS

Hi,

I am totally new to umbraco, and our company is not using umbraco for web development. However, we do have one client requested to host his umbraco website on our server. And I have no idea how to do that, cause we are using a different CMS.

Question1: Do I need to download and install "Umbraco" on our server? (We are using iis 7)

I have installed "umbraco" toegether with "web matrix" on my local machine, I did successfully run and view in the website in web matrix.

However when set up the webiste on iis7 on our web server. It just doesn't work. It always display internal server error - 500.

I did remember to change the connection string and other configuration in the web config. I also retsore the database backup on MS SQL server 2008 R2. And the connection string is pointing to the right place. It just doesn't work.

What can I do?

Thanks

William

• E.J. Brennan 73 posts 114 karma points
    Feb 23, 2011 @ 16:01
    E.J. Brennan

I do beleive you can manually copy his installation to your server, and bypass the install process - without much problem.(This is on IIS7.5 and Windows Server 2008R2)

I recently copied an install to my production IIS7.5 server by simply creating the directory, copying in all the appropriate files and directories from where it is already running and then setting up the website in IIS with the appropriate bindings. (and of course you'll need to take care of the DNS ahead of time). You may also need to backup the SQL server database and restore to the new location if that is moving to.

What got me hung at first was the permissions, you need to make sure the app-pool that runs the site has all the appropriate permissions. Here is the .bat file I use after each install to set permissions and it seems to work OK for me so far:

icacls . /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls app_code /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_browsers /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_data /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls bin /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls config /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls css /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls data /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls masterpages /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls media /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls python /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls scripts /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls umbraco /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls usercontrols /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls xslt /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls web.config /grant "IIS APPPOOL\{your app pool name}":(OI)(CI)M

After you do the install, if you can fire it up from a browser on the server, you'll have a better change of seeing useful error messages - messages that usually will not be displayed remotely.

There is nothing magical about umbraco's install needs - it is just another asp.net web application that needs to be able to find all its required files in the places it expects to.

Hope this helps.

Feb 24, 2011 @ 03:06
    William

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The steps you have mentioned are pretty much same as mine.

1. I setup a test domain name for the website

2. I restored the database backup file on server 2008 R2 (my db server is not on the same location as the web server)

3. Copy the website to a directory on the web server, and then on open IIS7 to setup the bindings, and point the physical location of the website

4. Open the web.config file from the website, and modified the connection string, so that it is able to read the database remotely.

5. Also I change one of the key in the appSettings in the web.config file, I guess that's umbraco version of connection string (<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="my database server info"/>)

6. go to application pool in IIS7, and set the .net framework to v4.0, I have tried both v2.0 and v4.0, they both had the same result (internal server error - 500).

How do I run the bat file? On command line? I am sorry, can you explain more how to use the .bat file, I am not a good windows user. (Only use windows when I am at work, most of the time, I use MacOX)

Also, the site I have got from the client is on version 4.0.0, and if run the umbraco installation pack, it will install a website that is version 4.6.1. Does it make any difference?

Feb 24, 2011 @ 04:46
    William

Hi,

Finally, I have found the problem.

In the Application pool, I had (.net framework with v4.0 and Integrated mode). That was the reason that the site didn't work. Once I changed to (.net framwork with v4.0 with classic mode), it works.

I have found this issue by installing the "web matrix", then open the site in the "web matrix", navigate to Site -> Setting (on the left panel), the default .net framework version is set to (.Net4 classic). Otherwise I have no idea what went wrong. Since all the CMS site we develop are using either .net 2 integrated or .net 4 integrated mode. I never thought that was the problem.

Anyway, I hope this will help for others.

William

• Max 144 posts 166 karma points
    Oct 13, 2011 @ 14:41
    Max

i have uploaded my umbraco form web matrix to a remote server iis , the  rick text editor styles etc is not showing in chrome and other browsers, and i cant add media fiels to a standard text page as well any idea what i need to change   or maybe teh .bat file wil work how to do it

Thank you

• Maritza 29 posts 49 karma points
    May 02, 2012 @ 16:04
    Maritza

Question:

I have to connect ActiveDirectory login to our intranet section -I'm currently using LDAPProvider.

How Do I find the specific node to Enable it with ISS? - that will take me straight to the login I need

Thks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft