Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joe 21 posts 41 karma points
    Feb 23, 2011 @ 20:44
    Joe

Directory and DB files - What do I do with them?

Hello,

I recently requested the back end code from my web developer, and I am trying to get it working internally on my company's server. Is it possible to get the site working for internal purposes only, to see how it functions?

Are there specific instructions that I can follow to accomplish this?

Here are the contents of the site folder I was given:

And here are the DB files I was given:

Thanks in advance =]

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 23, 2011 @ 23:37
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Joe

Here is broadly what you need to do to get it running:

- Find out which .Net framework the original site is running on, ideally also the IIS version. You would ideally match both with your test server (it will work with different versions as well, but you most likely will need to painfully modify some configurations).

- Restore both databases to a SQL DB server which is accessible from your test server. Look up the web.config file and create the required users etc. for each database (alternatively modify the information). You will need to change the information in the web.config file as well to point to your new database server. You might need to configure the SQL server to allow TCP/IP and Pipeline connections etc, more info on the in the link below.

- Copy the files as they are to a folder on the test server

- Create a new web site in IIS, linking to the folder mentioned above and set it up to run e.g. on localhost:2222.

- If you are using IIS 6, set the .Net framework used for your site and add wildcard mapping. If you are using IIS 7+ go to the application pool created for your web site (same name) and mirror the settings on the source server

- You will need to set file permissions on the folder mentioned above. Either allow NETWORK SERVICE full permissions on the whole folder (you wouldn't do this in a live environment, but for testing it's just easier) or the application pool identity, depending on your IIS version and settings.

- That should be it. Browse to http://[hostname:port]/umbraco/umbraco.aspx and log into the system. Right-click on the top-most content node ('Content') and select 'Publish entire site', this will refresh the cache to reflect your new environment. You might need to modify any hostnames set on content folders if any. After that you should be able to browse to http://[hostname:port] and see the site!

More information on setting up Umbraco that might help you with occuring problems: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup.

Hope that helps,

Sascha

• Cristiano 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 12:44
    Cristiano

Hi,

my name is Cristiano and this is my first post . 

I  have discoverd umbraco cms just now . I would like to know with how  many databases work umbraco ? it work wy mySql 

Thank you 

Cristiano

Feb 24, 2011 @ 12:58
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Christiano and welcome to the Umbraco community!

Umbraco works with MySql, MS SQL or even embedded databases. Which database do you want to use, MySql?

Cheers,

Sascha

• Cristiano 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 24, 2011 @ 13:48
    Cristiano

Yas MySql .

I have a webserver Windows 2008R2 with a db MySql.

Ho I can install umbraco with my db ? and then How mutch cost Umbraco ?

Thank you

Feb 24, 2011 @ 22:32
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Cristiano,

you can find some good information about installing Umbraco here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Sascha

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft