Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jacob Dall 12 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 12:04
    Jacob Dall

Upgrade from 3.0.5 to 4.6.1 - database update hangs at 20%

In the process of upgrading a site running version 3.0.5 of Umbraco to version 4.6.1, I'm having some trouble.

The database update hangs at 20%.

Some guy in here expressed a similar issue with the same type of upgrade, and he found that first upgrading to 4.5.2 did the trick.

I've tried the same approach, but unfortunately the install stops at step 2 with the message 'Database not found!' Despite the fact that the connection string matches that of the configuration of the 3.0.5 install (using a MSSQL DB). Version 4.5.0 has the exact same issue.

Any thoughts / ideas on how to get around one of these show stoppers ?

• sun 403 posts 395 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 12:42
    sun

change your browser to try.

I meet this type of problems when I install 4.5.2 with IE, it's stoped at 35%.

Feb 25, 2011 @ 12:58
    Jacob Dall

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried with both Firefox and IE - with the exact same behavior as a result.

• Hans Vangansbeke 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 14:20
    Hans Vangansbeke

Hi,

I have exact the same problem Jabob has.  I have spent hours searching for a solution but without any result uptill now.  One thing I can add to maybe solve the problem:

I took a look in the umbracoLog table of the umbracoCMS database and found the following error there:

Xml wasn't saved: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to D:\Hans Vangansbeke\Documents\Maxi Toys Shops Intranet v4.6.1\App_Data\umbraco.config is denied.     bij System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)     bij System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)     bij System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)     bij System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)     bij umbraco.content.PersistXmlToFile(XmlDocument xmlDoc)

I checked the permissions of the mentioned directory and they seem correct to me.  Just to make sure that it is not a permission issue, I even added full rights to everyone for the directory, but with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated

Best Regards,

Hans

Feb 25, 2011 @ 15:38
    Jacob Dall

Unfortunately, I don't have any recent entries in the umbracoLog table.

I downloaded the 4.5.0 source and executed it locally, but still referring the remote database server.

It appears that the 'Database not found message' is shown because for some reason the database cannot be upgraded - just a wee bit confusing, that message;) Reading the source, it appears that umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerInstaller.CanUpgrade returns false if CurrentVersion is not version 4 - which it is not (it's version 3).

In version 4.6.1, the CanUpgrade property likewise returns false if version is not 4. I assume this is the reason the database upgrade newer goes beyond 20% (haven't debugged it, though)

The question is now: how can one convert a version 3 database to a version 4?

Feb 25, 2011 @ 21:50
    Jacob Dall

Got it!

I upgraded the database from version 3 to 4 by running Umbraco version 4.0.4.2.

Then I moved on by running version 4.5.2, because version 4.6.1 still didn't complete the database step (now stopped at 35%)

Then finally I installed 4.6.1 and now the database step was skipped completely.

Only wee issue now is that I cannot login! Though the installer informed me that the password was changed to admin:default, apparently the admin account settings has not been changed.

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 17:43
    Paul A

@jacob, check your web.config file for password encryption settings... might need to be 'clear' instead of 'hashed'.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft