Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• suzyb 474 posts 932 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 14:16
    suzyb

Keeping multiple sites synced

I am working on a website that I need to duplicate 3 times (they are to be hosted on different servers so need to be different sites).  The site is a one page site that will be the same bar two sections of content.

I was going to create a package with everything that needs to stay the same (master page, doctype etc) and install it in the duplicate sites.

Would this be the best way to do it.  If so, is there a way to push any changes to the original site to the others.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 16:54
    Sascha Wolter

Hi,

to be honest it sounds a bit confusing to first separate them but later on sync the sites (if the requrirement is for multiple servers you could set it up in a cloud?), but let's focus on the best way to achieve this: for the initial setup you could just replicate the 'master' site you've build, that should do the trick. However, once you've created the other sites they lead their very own life, which means even though you might create the same nodes, document types, etc in all of them chances are good that some Ids in the backend will be different, which in turn means you will most likely encounter trouble when you try to move stuff from one server to the other. 

Umbraco Pro has the great Concierge tool which allows you to transfer content from one Umbraco installation to another one. If you create new document types, templates, stylesheets etc. it will probably be okay to package it up and install the package on the other servers. It will get really tricky though if you make changes to existing document or data types. For the latter I would probably perform the changes manually, but maybe someone here has a better idea?

Hope that helps,

Sascha

• suzyb 474 posts 932 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 17:13
    suzyb

The reason for the different servers is that each site will be hosted in the country that site is targetted to.

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 25, 2011 @ 20:56
    Sascha Wolter

Ah, that explains it a bit. :)

And I meant the Umbraco Pro Courier tool, not Concierge, sorry.

Cheers,

Sascha

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft