Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Theresa 1 post 21 karma points
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 05:19
    Theresa

Does Umbraco have an automated ADA compliance checker?

Does Umbraco have an automated ADA compliance checker? 

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 06:00
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Theresa,

not to my knowledge, and I'm not 100% I for one would really like Umbraco to have one. Though for sure helpful there are a range of solutions (e.g. run the pages manually through a compliance checker, browser add-ons which can check for compliance upon loading of the page) already out there and I'm not really sure if it should even be part of Umbraco. Would be an interesting idea for a package though...

Cheers,

Sascha

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 28, 2011 @ 11:09
    Tim

Hi Theresa,

As Sascha says, there isn't one out of the box, but you could create one as a back office extension I would have thought, that submits the page to one of the online accesibilty checkers. The only problem with things like accessibility checks as opposed to say W3C standards checks is that soe of the accessibility checks are either subjective, or need to be checked manually.

For example, in the W3C accessibility standards, images that convey information should have alt text or a caption that conveys the same information. An automated checker has no way of telling if the alt text or caption accurately reflects what's in the image, that has to be checked manually. Also, things like contrast ratio's between colours used on pages is hard to check automatically.

There are a few good automated check tools available that will spider the site and give you a report of definitive pass/fails, as well as a manual checklist of things to look for. I used to use a tool called Bobby, which is sadly no longer produced. You could have a look at the W3Cs list of accessibilty checker software and tools here to see if you can find one that suits your needs: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/complete

Hope that helps!

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft