Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• karen 186 posts 461 karma points
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 22:50
    karen

trying to move dev site to production

My site is working fine on localhost (of course!).  The website application is set at the root of the umbraco directory and I can access my site fine with http://localhost/

I am hosting the life site at webhost4life.com.  I currently have a working dot net site there.  So I copied the local database to the database on the site host and edited the web.config to point to the new db server.  I deleted the old sites files, and copied over the umbraco folder. 

The IIS settings should be the same, the iis application is set at the /site1 directory (that is how they have it set up at webhost4life)

However, I get this error.  I have no virtual directories set up, so not sure what this error is for?

Any help appreciated!

Server Error in '/site1' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The virtual path '/umbraco/masterpages/default.master' maps to another application, which is not allowed.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="master.master.cs" Inherits="UpstairsWeb.masterpages.master" %>
    Line 2: <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    Line 3:

Source File: /site1/masterpages/master.Master    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 23:44
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Karen,

can you login to the backend? I think I think it would also be helpful to provide information on Umbraco version and especially IIS version you are using, the .Net version seems to be 2 from your error screen above. I remember that there were at least problems when setting up Umbraco as a virtual directory in older version, if that was at all possible. Yet it sounds odd to me that they would set it up as virtual directory at all, then again I haven't got much experience with shared hosting solutions...

If you can login to the backend one of the first things you should always do after transferring an Umbraco web site is to refresh the cache by right-clicking on 'Content' and selecting 'Re-publish entire site'. This will make sure that the cached info reflects your new location. Also check if any host names are set in Umbraco (via the Manage Hostnames popup in the context menu of a node), if so then the information will most likely need to be updated as well.

Cheers,

Sascha

Mar 04, 2011 @ 03:51
    karen

Hi,

Thanks for the help.  Sorry for not providing enough details!

My dev machine: xp pro sp3, iis6, umbraco v 4.5.2, ms sql 2005.  

Host site - OS not sure, guessing iis7, ms sql 2008.  Not sure if there are virtual directories or not, I have not set up any but not sure how they have things set up.  Agree it would be odd that they would set up my site as one but this is my only experience with shared hosting also so who knows.  I put in a support ticket asking how it was set up and if it is using virtual directories.

I can change my dev config to point to the hosted database and the site will work fine running locally.

I cannot log into the backend either from the hosted site.  Earlier (a few hours ago) the error was similar.  However now I just re-copied up the site (I had put my old site back) and when I try to access it (either the site or the backend) it just hangs and nothing comes up at all.

Firefox gives me this error, IE nothing at all (infinite hang)

Problem loading page:

The page isn't redirecting properly
      Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
          *   This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
                cookies.

So I am not sure what is happening now - or why it has changed.  Earlier I copied the site up, got the error.  Deleted all the files on the site, re-copied everything and had the same error.  Now I just did the same thing and a completely different issue.  Obviously I need to put my old site back so can't leave this broken one up.

Mar 04, 2011 @ 04:38
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Karen,

that is obviously most unfortunate, especially since you have to copy your sites forth and back all the time. The redirection error is an odd one, that happened to me when I set up custom UrlRewriting rules in the wrong manner, but I guess that is not the case with your site (/config/UrlRewriting.config, if you haven't touched that then it's a clear no as answer). The redirection might indeed be caused by Umbraco running in a virtual directory, in the sense of the virtual and root directory playing ping pong all the time. However if that is the case then I'm probably not the right person to help you here as I haven't got Umbraco running in a virtual directory. How did you set it up on your local machine with XP, you've just copied everything in the wwwroot folder?

Whatever happens on the frontend you should always be able to log onto the backend (which makes sense since you need to log onto the backend to fix issues on the frontend). 

One thing that might be the case here is that you haven't got full trust on the server. That is kind of a security mechanism and limits what .Net applications can do. Previously Umbraco could only run in full trust, that has change, though full trust is still the default, or in other words you can turn 'medium trust' on and let it run for example in shared environments which don't allow full trust. The setting can be changed in the web.config file, this is the default using full trust:

<add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="false" />

If you switch 'false' to 'true' it will switch. Will definitely worth getting the info about that from your hosting provider and can't hurt to play around with that option in the meantime to see if it does any good.

Nik has put some information around that in this post: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/7152-Umbraco-in-shared-hosting-environment.

Cheers,

Sascha

Mar 04, 2011 @ 23:12
    karen

Hi,

I tried setting medium trust.  I asked the host about the virtual directories and they said they set the site1/ to be the root for my site (which I thought it was all along?).  Also had them set the permissions on the folders for me (not sure they were set properly before).  Now I can log into the backend, but I can't do anything there.  I am getting almost the same error as above, just a different masterpage:  If the application root of the site is the /site1, then I would think that should not be referenced in the path ?

Any more thoughts?  Thanks!

Server Error in '/site1' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The file '/site1/umbraco/masterpages/umbracoPage.Master' does not exist.

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Page language="c#" MasterPageFile="masterpages/umbracoPage.Master" Title="dashboard" Codebehind="dashboard.aspx.cs" AutoEventWireup="True" Inherits="umbraco.cms.presentation.dashboard" trace="false" validateRequest="false"%>
    Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="cc1" Namespace="umbraco.uicontrols" Assembly="controls" %>
    Line 3:

Source File: /site1/umbraco/dashboard.aspx    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3615; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

Mar 05, 2011 @ 16:00
    karen

I have found out that there is some file below the /site1/ folder (which I was told was the root of my site and application root) called httpd.ini and that contains rewrite rules.  I am not at all familiar with httpd.ini and how it works in IIS and having a slow time finding any sort of usefull information via google (lots of information if you already know what it is!).  Anyway, could that be part of my problem?

Mar 07, 2011 @ 05:37
    Sascha Wolter

Hi karen,

that might very well be the cause of the problem. The /umbraco/masterpages/umbracoPage.Master should definitely be there, and if it physically is then something is messing up the urls/destinations. Have unfortunately not yet worked with httpd.ini at all I'm afraid, so won't be much of a help here. Ideally you'd need somebody who has set up Umbraco in a virtual directory with .Net 2 and IIS 6, or even better with experience on setting Umbraco up at webhost4life.com. 

Just had a look at their web site and it seems like you also have .Net 3.5 available? Any chance you can update your Umbraco installation to 3.5? As I test I'd probably install the latest version of Umbraco with .Net 3.5. on the server and try to get that one running. It *might* fix that problem automatically, depending on how the guys have configured the server.

Sorry I can't be more of a help,

Sascha

Mar 07, 2011 @ 15:34
    karen

HI,

Thanks again!

I've decided to switch hosts to SeekDotNet.com which is a lot cheaper and thier site says they support Umbraco.  I switched and they have an uUbraco installer, which I ran with no headache and Umbraco is running just fine..  Now just copying my files and data over and should all go well.  The support at Webhost4life.com was no help at all and was just making me crazy.  Was going to post an update when I had it finished but so far so good.

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft