Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geoffry Brown 6 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 03:06
    Geoffry Brown

Azure Install On 4.7 or any .NET 4 version (4.6) - Not Migrate Existing Site

Good Evening

I have been trying to setup Umbraco 4.7 on Azure (can be any 4.0 version I also had issue with 4.6.2).  I have no issue putting an existing Umbraco site on Azure using AzureSQL, My issue is putting a clean install up using the blob mounted drive.  Here are my assumptions and what is actually the case after following the setup guide from the Accelerator project.

• I configure the Service, web role and the rest of the files all in accordance with the setup document.
    • I create a virtual hard disk that will upload into blob storage and be mountable.
    • this disk mounted will be my website and me setup in IIS accordingly
    • iis set to framework 4.0
    • run the application, point to azure database and install tables
    • after this i can login, add files and packages and these will be save to the persistent blob storage

What i encountered

• configured everything according to document
    • virtual hard disk created and uploaded into blob storage (also verified after by remote destop that the blob drive has the umbraco website and files added are persisted)
    • IIS is not even accessible on port 80 and the service was not even running.  IIS not even configured at all.

Not sure what i missed here but I think if i could set iis up properly in the config it would work.  I set everything according to the setup document and the drive is mounted, just the default IIS website is not set.

I then remote desktoped to the instance to see what was actually setup and mapped the umbraco to the mounted folder, localhost then works fine and i can get the install going.  Remotely still nothing. 

Has anyone actually got this scenario running?  I can easily develop a full site and deploy it through a worker role to Azure but that is not what I want here, this is basically a POC for me.  I would really like to offer this as a simple setup for my clients in Umbraco.

These are the steps i read and followed:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008/installing-umbraco-to-sql-azure (this is simply to use sql azure and not really what i wanted)

http://blog.sitereactor.dk/2011/01/12/umbraco-on-azure-series-deploying-to-azure-with-accelerator/ (was a good guide and I really thought was complete and would work and I followed it to the letter)

I also must note here that all the documents mention an issue with the Azure SDK 1.3 and all the documentation is based on SDK 1.2.  I am not sure that matters I can build the Accelerator projects fine.

So any help here would really be appreciated, I hope it is just a small config setting i missed or something.

Thanks

Geoff

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 08:55
    Morten Christensen

Hi Geoff,

What kind of Instance setup did you configure? 1 instance on small, medium or large?

From within the Windows Azure Dashboard can you see that the instance is started and running or does it show any kind of errors?

I belive the current version of the Accelerator has only been tested with Umbraco 4.0.x and 4.5.x so I'm not sure whether or not the newest versions will work. I haven't tried it myself yet.

- Morten

Mar 07, 2011 @ 13:59
    Geoffry Brown

Hi Morten.

I setup just one simple small instance.  In the Azure dashboard everything seemed perfect, The drive was there, I could remote desktop into the machine and check, and it was mouned and had my Umbraco files.  I even added a test file and this persisted through five deployments so everything seemed ok and my files were persisting ok.

But there was no IIS site created though the cdcfg file was correctly done, including the <site> node to create the site.  Everything was wired up with no headers and to go in the default web site.  Tried to keep it as simple as possible.

I did read the Accelerator was working with 4.0 and 4.5 but i assumed this would still work as it is uploading a site, I didn't see how the Umbraco version would matter, at the end of the day they are all sites and files.

Like I also mentioned I can easily develop locally and simply deploy the site to Azure, this I have already done and takes less then 5 minutes to do, add an Azure project with a web role, make the web role your Umbraco project, follow the migration steps for SQL Server from the post I linked to in my first post, and deploy, extremely easy but any added or changed css, xslt or anything and need to redeploy.  Not the end of the world just wanted the full Umbraco on Azure.

Thanks

Geoff 

Mar 07, 2011 @ 14:13
    Morten Christensen

Okay, quick question:
    Did you use the Umbraco Rapid Deployment or Umbraco Azure Accelerator (from http://azureaccelerators.codeplex.com/releases) ?

I know that Warren Buckley had some issues using the Rapid Deployment, which was addressed here: http://azureaccelerators.codeplex.com/discussions/242402 but I'm not sure it has anything to do with your issue.

- Morten

Mar 07, 2011 @ 14:18
    Geoffry Brown

Hi Morten.

I used the Accelerator, I did not get around to the Rapid Deployment project.

The issue you linked too does not seem to be an issue here.

Thanks

Geoff

Mar 10, 2011 @ 14:30
    Morten Christensen

Hi Geoff,

Any progress? :)

I just wanted to add a couple of notes. I'm not sure whether or not it will help, but here goes:

In the configuration of the Worker Role there is a path to a local IIS site - do you have this setup to the right path, which is setup as a site in your local IIS?

On the Windows Azure Platform Portal you have the possibility to upgrade the OS of the instance - have you tried to change this to see if it makes a difference? You can also specify it in the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg file:

osVersion="WA-GUEST-OS-1.3_201004-01"

But please note that I don't know what is actually supported by the Accelerator :-S

- Morten

• Cavan Arrowsmith 20 posts 42 karma points
    Sep 21, 2011 @ 14:06
    Cavan Arrowsmith

Hi Geoff,

In the Azure Accelerator Visual Studio project solution, Umbraco.sln file, can you check that you have something similar to the following snippet of code in the ServiceConfiguration file:

<WebRole name="WebRole" vmsize="Medium">
        <Runtime executionContext="elevated" />
        <Sites>
          <Site name="Web">
            <Bindings>
              <Binding name="HttpIn" endpointName="HttpIn" />
            </Bindings>
          </Site>
        </Sites>
        <Endpoints>
          <InputEndpoint name="HttpIn" protocol="http" port="80" localPort="80" />
          <InputEndpoint name="HttpsIn" protocol="tcp" port="443" localPort="443" />
          <!-- unused, just there so instance discovery works -->
          <InternalEndpoint name="UnusedInternal" protocol="http" port="88" />
       </Endpoints>

Are you wanting to use Azure/Umbraco in a multiple websites enviornment? i.e do you require lots of IIS website bindings to be set up. If so, you may need to refer to this link to assist setting up IIS bindings: http://waacceleratorumbraco.codeplex.com/discussions/254223

Cavan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft