Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Lemmon 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 21:32
    Eric Lemmon

Installing Umbraco 4.6.1 on IIS 6 vs 7

A few questions regarding these items on the Mininum System Requirements page:

Umbraco 4.6.x (Codename JUNO)

• IIS 6+ (IIS 7 Preferred)
    • Medium-Trust/Full-Trust (Should work in Medium-Trust environments, but Full-Trust is still preferred)

Why are IIS 7 and Full-Trust preferred?  Are there certain features that will not work when running Umbraco under IIS 6 and/or Medium-Trust?

Thank you,

Eric

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:01
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Eric,

IIS7 is preferred because of it's integrated pipeline mode. E.g. you have to setup wildcard forwarding in IIS6 so the UrlRewriting module can work properly, that works quite nice however is an additional step which takes up resources. In IIS7 and integrated mode that is not necessary anymore. Here is a good and quick description of the differences between 6 + 7. Needless to say IIS7 is AFAIK a complete rebuild of the server and in many regards better. However you can still run Umbraco 4.* on IIS6 if you so wish, but it is not the preferred way (some things have been optimized in Umbraco to make use of IIS7's capabilities as well).

With regards to using full trust as preferred operation mode: this article here describes the main restrictions that an ASP.Net web site has that runs in medium trust. I guess the most important ones for Umbraco are ReflectionPermission and that you can't call unmanaged code. I'm not 100% sure on the whole medium trust mode as I've never had the need (all our production web sites run in full trust), it might help fellow Umbracians though if you have a more specific question here.

Hope that helps,

Sascha

• Eric Lemmon 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 00:15
    Eric Lemmon

Thank you, Sascha.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Eric

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft