Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mikey mcmanus 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 12, 2011 @ 17:38
    mikey mcmanus

total newbie! help with web matrix and umbraco cms install

I'll be honest here and state for the record I haven't a clue, or it would at least seem that way, but I am prepared for the onslaught of comments.

I have just installed web matrix, mySQL etc on my PC...which was easy but when I use web platform installer and try to down load the file it presents me with database user name fields and passwords...but what are these?  what are they for do I need an account with Umbraco or is it my PC?  I really don't know and could do with some guidance.

All the help notes and downloads assume you know this information and just glaze over it, so it must mean I've not done something and I'm hopefull some kind sould here will do that.

thanks in advance,

Mikey

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Mar 12, 2011 @ 20:53
    Kim Andersen

Hi there Mikey and welcome to the wonderful world of Umbraco :)

First of all, have you selected MySQL as your database? The username and passwords you have to enter at this step is the login information on the database. When you create the database, you must provide a username and a password so that you've got a user that has access to the database. Does that make sense at all?

Another approach you could consider is to use the SQL CE database. If you choose this option, you don't have to think about a username, password, creating a database and server name as the installer will take care of all those things for you.

/Kim A

Mar 12, 2011 @ 21:13
    mikey mcmanus

Hi Kim and thanks! I have MySQL installed but not sure if it is my database, I hadn't looked at that yet. I merely downloaded from Umbraco, the software in order to asses how good it would be to learn a web designing/building tool. so i'm still at a loss to your suggestion...sorry :/ Mikey

Mar 12, 2011 @ 22:18
    Kim Andersen

That's okay Mikey, no worries :)

Have I understod you the right way if I think you've come to see the first page page in the Umbraco installation process?

If so, around step 3 or 4 you shall choose which kind of database you want to use. Did you get to this step?

Maybe it's easier if you could take a screenshot and post it in this thread to show us where in the process you are right now. This might help us in finding out where you're currently stuck.

/Kim A

Mar 12, 2011 @ 22:31
    mikey mcmanus

here is the stage I am stuck at

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Mar 12, 2011 @ 22:54
    Daniel Bardi

I usually create an empty database and create the user accounts in SQLExpress first and give them rights to the empty database.

After database stuff, I then run the install.

Mar 13, 2011 @ 14:25
    Kim Andersen

Hi Mikey

If you have never tried working with any kind of database, I'd suggest that you try out the SQL CE database. Can you select this from the drop down list? As mentioned in my earlier post, if you choose the SQL CE database, you don't have to worry about all of the login stuff you need to provide in the above step.

Would that be of any help?

/Kim A

Mar 13, 2011 @ 18:59
    mikey mcmanus

I haven't used any database, let alone the one you speak of.  There is only an option to use 'existing database' not to select another type :/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft