Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Karim Hyatt 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:21
    Karim Hyatt

First time Installation problems

Hi,

I have tried to install umbraco on a local machine to evaluate it.

I have tried using the Web install and just copying the files to a directory and configuring IIS.

• The AppPool is set to ASP.NET 4.0 (integrated pipeline)
    • The permissions are set completely open to "everyone".
    • Environment: Windows 7, IS7, SQL Server 2008 R2
    I managed in both cases to get the CMS going, but with errors:
    The skin does not install and shows another error on the main page after installing the "Simple Site" although the "designit-Green" stylesheet shows up in the settings menu. 
    I also get 
    Error reading XSLT file: \xslt\umbTopNavigation.xslt
    at the top of the page as well as multiple
    "Could not load control: '/umbraco/dashboard"
    on the setting pages. 
    I can confirm that neither umbTopNavigation.xslt nor any of the usercontrols actually exist.
    I'm currently evaluating Umbraco and this first experience hasn't been very encouraging, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    Thanks in advance for your help...

Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:48
    Karim Hyatt

On further investigation, when trying to apply a skin, the following message is generated in IE:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

Timestamp: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:44:08 UTC

Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Line: 5

Char: 84093

Code: 0

URI: http://localhost/umbraco/ScriptResource.axd?d=J8yC-5eZCuYaclxd36zECbuNdaT7zSl7RXMTnxHVSrzZ2HhGxSv8toCEwHap0vjIkE4NbvJpjN1VawtfQqJ89CCQxWXD8Za5d7sbS4f9vutNbSHCSSERj-it4jyV4pRc5hwuDguV-sfziHBhIvm6L3lEMdtZwxV6Kz0mXXUYllU1&t=ffffffffa5d4ef3e

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 19, 2011 @ 07:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Karim

What version of Umbraco have you installed?

And what permissions have you given? You should set permissions for network service and iusr at least...and for starters try giving them full access and make sure that they're set on the root folder containing Umbraco and that they're inherited properly all the way down.

What identity is your app pool running?

/Jan

Mar 19, 2011 @ 17:10
    Karim Hyatt

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The version I'm running is the latest downlodable 4.7.0.

I have given full access to the site, but it seems that the user controls and the xslt file just don't exist anywhere (and so are not accessible).

I would be useful to know where I can get hold of them.

In the meantime, I have started from ground 0 and not installed a starter site. I've been busy undestanding the structure of umbraco without the distraction of starter sites not working.

Thanks again for the reply. I'll probably be on here again with other questions. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft