Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 18:25
    Martin Griffiths

creating membership scenarios with umbracoUseDirectoryUrls set to true

Phew what a day i've had! There must be someone out there who can say....oh yes just do this!

I've gone right back to basics on an Umbraco 4.0.4.2 installation and used simply the runway to ensure it was nothing I had done in a more complex project.

My problem is simple...enabling directory urls and then dropping in the simplest of membership scenarios as a usercontrol and I get the following error when navigating to the protected page.The ascx is just the ASPNet Login control, no code behind.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

System.Web.Security.Membership.GetCurrentUserName() +68

System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser() +17 ...

and so on....

if I add .aspx on the end of the URL the page comes back to life!!!

What I find incredible is that nobody seems to have posted on this before (at least as far as I have searched in the forums)

It seems a little odd to me that something as fundamentally simple should fail so easily with directoryURLs turned on. Clearly i've missed a settting somewhere, but equally a trap should've been in place in the umbraco code to prevent this from happening so easily.

I suppose a way around it would be to write a complete custom user control with a mountain of code behind to control every step of the authentication process, but thats too much like hard work!

Some insight into this would be most helpful before I lose any more hair!

Martin

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 10:47
    Martin Griffiths

Either i've posted this in the wrong place or nobody has experienced this issue (on the forum at least).

With a fresh pair of eyes and some vigilent digging in Google I found this, for anyone interested.

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/22929?ProjectName=umbraco

Solved the problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft