Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 18:54
    Anthony Candaele

deploying umbraco on shared host

Hi,

Is it possible to deploy an Umbraco site (4.5.2) on a Shared Host? Where can I find information on this subject?

Thanks for your help,

Anthony Candaele
    Belgium

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 19:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anthony

I can't see why it should not be possible.

But you should of course make sure that Umbraco is supported by the host.

To deploy on a shared host I think I would to the following

1) Make a clean installation of Umbraco

2) Check that it's possible to login and everything seems to be fine

3) Copy over all the files (Be aware not to overwrite the web.config with your local one)

4) Make a database dump, which should be imported to the SQL server of the shared hosting somehow. (Think this could turn out to be the most tricky part depending on your own database knowledge and what DB version etc. is being used).

I hope these pointers are usefull.

/Jan

Mar 18, 2011 @ 19:12
    Anthony Candaele

Hello Jan,

I was asking this question because I read that Umbraco, in the past, could not run on a shared host because it didn't support medium trust.

What I normally do when deploying an Umbraco site on my own server, is copying the webfolder and de sql files (.mdb, .log), and then configure the connection string in the web.config file to let it point to the new database. So I never do a clean install of Umbraco on the production server. Is this necessary on a shared host?

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 19:15
    Nick Portelli

I run on a shared host just fine.  But my host also allow's full trust I think.  There is a setting in the web.config for medium trust in 4.5.2+ I believe.  I don't use SQLCE, but probably should since I'd just need to copy the whole folder up and I'd be good.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2011 @ 19:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anthony

You're right. Before v 4.5 Umbraco could not run on shared hosting if it only supported medium trust. It's not problem when full trust is allowed. But actually I think Benjamin Howard made some magic so Umbraco before 4.5 can also run on shared hosting, which only allows medium trust if I do remember correctly...

But from 4.5 it's been possible for sure. However I know many people have had some trouble getting it to work properly on GoDaddy. But in the end I think most have managed to get it up and running.

Yes, you're right - you don't neccesarily need to take this step on a shared host. I guess it really depends on how you're allowed to administer the site. My shared hosting provider only allows me access using FTP for instance. And it was with that in mind I wrote the above.

So I guess the answer should be that the approach depends on what kind of access you get and what you're allowed to do.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 19, 2011 @ 09:22
    Anthony Candaele

Hi Jan,

Seems that I also only have FTP access to this share host. But reading your steps, I have to make a clean installation of Umbraco. How can I do that if I only have FTP-acces?

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Mar 19, 2011 @ 14:25
    Daniel Bardi

via FTP.. backup what you have, then upload a clean umbraco setup..

Browse to your site and the installer should start.

Mar 22, 2011 @ 20:28
    Anthony Candaele

And the shared host saga continues ...

I try to install my website in a medium trust shared host environment.

I have set this thes settings in the web.config file:

<add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="true" />

uncommented <trust level="Medium" originUrl=".*" />

and added requirePermission="false" to the clientDependency, but now I get this error:

This configuration section cannot be used at this path.  This happens when the site administrator has locked access to this section using <location allowOverride="false"> from an inherited configuration file.

Anyone has experience with this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Anthony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft