Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 15:27
    Phil Dye

SQL CE or not?

Is SQL CE considered "good enough" for a low-volume, production site?  As we're building more and more small things on Umbraco, it seems a bit of an overhead to create and run full SQL Server databases for these, so if SQL CE is "good enough", then that'll do.

What are others doing for smaller sites?

Phil

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 15:33
    Kim Andersen

Hi Phil

I'd go for the SQL CE solution if it's a small site. It's more lightweight, and often it's cheaper to get the site hosted, when you don't have to use an actual DB like MySQl or MSSQL.

Only concern I have is, that I don't know if any of the popular packages I might need on the site doesn't work with SQL CE. This could be tested fairly quick though :)

/Kim A

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 15:38
    Nick Portelli

I went with a SQL route because SQLCE support was just not there yet. Now that it is much better in 4.6 and beyond I am thinking about going the SQLCE route.  It would make deployment and backup much easier. So what Kim said.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 15:57
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Phil,

I've used SQL CE on several small-scale websites already.  The only gotchas so far are...

• Some 3rd-party packages (that rely on a database) just don't work
    • Performance on the back-office is a little slower (than when using SQL Express+) - but that should be expected.

I haven't noticed any difference in front-end performance - mainly because my sites are all XML cache driven, (no other data-sources, etc).

Cheers, Lee.

• Phil Dye 149 posts 325 karma points
    Mar 21, 2011 @ 16:07
    Phil Dye

Thanks all; that's a strong enough case for me, so we'll be going with CE for small stuff from now on. I'll report back if we have problems!

Phil

• Brendan 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 13:38
    Brendan

Hi Guys

I hope someone can help.

I've build a website using SQL CE, now I need to upgrade to MSSQL, is there any easy way to do this, webmatrix has a migrate button under the database section to migrate it, but it requires a username and password, No database username and password is required when setting up a SQLCE, it is not the same username and password as the one setup specifically for umbraco.

Please can someone help

Thanks
    Brendan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft