Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michiel (NSC) 95 posts 115 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 12:01
    Michiel (NSC)

Can't create users in a new installation

I have just finished installing Umbraco (couldn't use the installation wizard, had to manually edit the web.config) and now I want to create users but it is giving me some problems:

• In the Users section, the button on the top left to Create a new user is not working, literally nothing happens when I click it.
    • When creating a new user (using the right-click option) I can't save the new user, I get a notification: Error saving user (check log)
    I have 2 questions:
    Is it normal that the Create... button doesn't work in the Users section?
    Where is the log that I should check?

• Michael Hyldsgaard 64 posts 124 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 12:09
    Michael Hyldsgaard

I'm not really sure about the Create button, but the "Error saving user" is most likely because you have to add at least one "Section" to the user you're trying to create.

• Michael Hyldsgaard 64 posts 124 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 12:11
    Michael Hyldsgaard

I've just tried clicking the "Create" button in my own installation. Same result... it's not working. I've never used this button anyway though... :o)

• Michiel (NSC) 95 posts 115 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 12:54
    Michiel (NSC)

Ok, I added a section. I didn't notice that there was a validation error. Some things I find remarkable about this process:

• A pretty specific button is simply not working in a final release build of the CMS
    • Validation errors are not displayed distinctively
    • There is a notification to check the log but one would need to check the database to see the log
    • There is actually NOT anything in the log relating to the Error saving user, so the notification to check the log is not helpful
    • Even administrators need to be assigned section, where I would expect system administrators to have access to all sections

How is this kind of lack of quality and finish regarded in the community? Is it simply a case of, if it's broken you can fix it or simply throw more modules at it until it works? Or maybe we expect the Umbraco CMS users to be more technical?

I think I should start adding some work items on CodePlex. But the fact that I have now a couple of bugs after 2-3 hours of using Umbraco kind of worries me.

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Mar 24, 2011 @ 13:11
    Fergus Davidson

Hi Michiel

I have just tried on a new install of Umbraco v4.6.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4029.25836)

If you switch between the 'Content' and the 'Users', the 'create' button is actually in a 'disabled state' in the 'users' section - therefore it does not work. This is the same as in previous versions of the site so i presume is a 'feature'. Why it is there but disabled? - who knows, someone else may be able to explain.

As for me, the creation of users via the right-click is working fine.

As Micheal suggested, the users may need to have sections assigned to be saved. Also i have had some issues in the past with the password fields needing to be filled on user edits but only in some browsers.

Hope you get it sorted

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft