Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Milen Kovachev 13 posts 33 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 07:08
    Milen Kovachev

How do I build Umbraco?

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest source code from codeplex and am trying to figure out what I need to build and how.

Please note that I have done a one time download rather than through mercurial.

So I was wondering how I can build umbraco so that I can debug my umbraco installation?

I tried to build the CMS.Development.sln for example but there are two missing files in the Umbraco.CMS.Web .csproj, which are Mvc\Areas\AreaRegistrationExtensions.cs and Mvc\Areas\ComponentAreaRegistration.cs.

But anyway even if I succeed to build anyhting I am totally not sure if it would be the correct thing and how I can go from there. Is there somewhere documentation or instrucitons on what to do? Finding any turns out not be straightforward.

Please advise!

Thanks

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 08:29
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Milen,

I think you are trying to compile version 5 of Umbraco which is work in progress. You need the 4.7 release. According to codeplex it's this release

http://umbraco.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/6f33e2b81175

Hope this helps you,

Richard

• Milen Kovachev 13 posts 33 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 16:13
    Milen Kovachev

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for this. This is indeed the version and I managed to get it running and to debug it.

It did not take a lot to figure out the xslt transformation for the web.config that is taking place in the AfterBuild target (for exmpale), but I was wondering why there is no documentation on such things like building, debugging, deploying, etc. Or is it just that I am not able to find it? I can appreciate the Umbraco Tv as a way to monetize things and I will definitely support it once I get up to speed with the basics, but isn't some documentation going to be advantageous to the development of the whole project?

I am trying to figure out the big picture and get a better understanding of how things work in the umbraco community, so hopefully these questions do not sound irrelevant.

Milen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft