Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 20:08
    Fuji Kusaka

Installing Multiple Instances on a Virtual Server

Hi,

Am having loads and loads of issues when installing multiple instances by using virutal directory on my server.

All my installed packages creates a new directory in the intance instead of being install in the usercontrols folder as it should be.

Anyone can suggest something??

//Fuji

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Mar 29, 2011 @ 20:33
    Daniel Bardi

Not all packages install controls in the usercontrols... many use the /umbraco/plugins folder.

based on your previous posts, you might have a pathing issue on your web server.... it's hard to tell... need more information about your setup.

Mar 29, 2011 @ 20:58
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Daniel

I do agree with you about the cat that not all packages are install in the usercontrols folder.

Thing is i have a Dev Server name dev2 so the link is http://dev2/net4/ , "net4" is where the framework 4.0 is installed to get umbraco to run.

So under this dev2 server, i have multiple virtual directories or folders which works perfectly and not long i started a project on umbraco v 4.5.1 which is all good and published on its domain.

Now with the release of v 4.7, i have to more website to build and so i have created an instance of umbraco e.g Project 1 and Project 2.

My virtual folder is not set to http://dev2/net4/project1 but in umbraco dashboard under the property tab my "Link to document" is " / " even when i set my useDomainPrefix to True. The second problem is when i installed uCommerce as a package.

Intead of installing it in the folder usercontrols it added a new folder called "net" and installed everything in their. So i cant even see my uCommerce DashBoard and it keeps doing the same thing with Doc@Form, Examine...

Mar 29, 2011 @ 21:18
    Daniel Bardi

The "Link to document" will ALWAYS remain as "/" for root if the umbraco installation is the root of the site. (that doesn't appear to be so)

The only time you will see the full url path is if useDomainPrefix is true; and only when you have a domain assigned to it.

If you want umbraco to be in a virtual sub path (i.e. http://dev2/net4/project1) you might need to modify the web.config and replace ~/ with just /.

I would recommend, since this is a dev environment, to just setup a new website on IIS and point it to the local project1 path.  At least then you have isolated the site from other possible configurations in the parent site.

As far as the packages installing in odd places... this might also be related to the fact your site pathing is not setup properly for umbraco being a sub application.

Options

1. Check pathing in web.config

2. Move to it's own site (i.e. port 81)

Mar 29, 2011 @ 21:21
    Fuji Kusaka

Thanks Daniel,

I will give it a try...

• Frederic de comarmond 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:11
    Frederic de comarmond

Fuji,

in your web config change umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to true 

in the umbracoSetting.comfig file change the useDomainPrefixes to true and addTrailingSlash to false

rebuild your web and it should work.

regards,

Fred

Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:24
    Fuji Kusaka

Fred,

I gave it a try but you somehow lost the extension of the file when you create another node under the default one.

Fuji

Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:29
    Daniel Bardi

That's what happens when you use directory urls.. :).. no extension.  BTW.. there are no files.. all url rewritten.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft