Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Baldy 20 posts 40 karma points
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 12:48
    Baldy

Moved Installation to new server - umbraco.config issue

I moved my umbraco installation, which was working fine, to a new server.

The new server runs IIS7.5 on windows 2008 server.

The first problem i came across was that access to /App_Data/umbraco.config was denied.

So i used procmon.exe to establish that the app pool identity was trying to access this file that it didnt have write permissions for.  So i gave the app pool the correct permissions (read on the root folder, write on app_data plus all sub dirs + files) but i still got the same problem.

eventually i tried giving app pool identity write access on the root directory and everything below it - this worked, and it deleted the umbraco.config, and now gives me this error...

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +84
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.cache.Cache.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Object syncLock, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, TimeSpan timeout, GetCacheItemDelegate`1 getCacheItem) +132
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains() +158
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomain(String DomainName) +44
       umbraco.requestHandler.CreateXPathQuery(String url, Boolean checkDomain) +232
       umbraco.requestHandler..ctor(XmlDocument umbracoContent, String url) +523
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1062
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +8876158
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +328

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 15:05
    Tim

Does the account have modify on the app_data folder as well as read and write?

Apr 01, 2011 @ 15:12
    Baldy

Hi Tim,

the account did not have modify rights on the app_data folder.

I added this and it made no difference.

I restored the umbraco.config from a backup, then tried again, and i got the same error above, except it didnt delete the umbraco.config file.

i then gave the account modify rights on the entire web app folder, and it deleted the umbraco.config file during the request, then gave the same error again.

is this related to cached data from the previous installation?

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 02:52
    Sascha Wolter

Hi Baldy,

the first think you need to do after transferring an Umbraco site to a new location is to get rid of the umbraco.config file as it contains the cache for the OLD site, which means the items in there will point to the wrong location. As to the permissions I'm not 100% sure but I think the app pool identity needs at least modify permissions on the respective Umbraco folders.

After you got rid of the umbraco.config file the next step is to create a new one by logging in to the backend (that should work fine in either case), right-clicking on the top most node ('Content') and choosing 'Re-publish entire site', which will effectively update the cache. If you have manually modified host names on your nodes you might need to update this information before re-publishing.

Hope that helps your issue,

Sascha

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Apr 03, 2011 @ 11:23
    Daniel Bardi

Make sure you dump the ~/app_data/Temp/ClientDependancy folder before moving to a new server... I've had this break a site on a move and cleaning it fixed the issue.

Apr 04, 2011 @ 18:21
    Baldy

Thank you both for the info.

Sascha - your advice worked.

Daniel - will remember that for future reference.

• Marco Vervoort 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 28, 2012 @ 21:10
    Marco Vervoort

I got the same error after publishing by local Umbraco site to the hosting party. The solution of login on to the backend didn't work for me. He kept telling my account was invalid.

My solution was to re-publish / copy System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll and System.Data.SqlServerCe.Entity.dll in the bin folder, which were for some reason not published to the server.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft