Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dai Nguyen 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 00:20
    Dai Nguyen

use umbraco to manage exist website

Hi,

I am IT student and am doing the Yspace project. www.yspace.net which is built on ASP.Net and MySQL.

This Web for non-profit organization which support young people.

The questions are:

1. can i install umbraco to this exist website www.yspace.net and if i can, how can i install Umbraco?
    2. does it support MySQL ?

Thanks a lot.

Dai Nguyen

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 03:12
    Pasang Tamang

HI,

Umbraco support MySQL database also but recommend you to use MS SQL Server database 2005/2008 (works in express edition also), because If I was not wrong all the packages developed for umbraco are not tested with MySQL database. Regarding the process of installing umbraco in existing running website, I've same issue before a year. What I did is first I totally convert the existing site into Umbraco site in my local pc. After complete test I deleted the old files and folders and upload the umbraco.

One more thing you can check with your web hosting company either they provide sql server features or not.

Thanks

Pnima

Apr 08, 2011 @ 11:13
    Dai Nguyen

Thanks for your reply.

What are Umbraco code ? It like ASP.Net code. is not it ?

When i first work on this project, Yspace was built on Mambo platform. It is open source but It grow very slow, and not support many feature.That why the web owner want to change the platform to ASP.Net. If i totally convert the ASP.Net code to UmBraco code. it like I back the project to the first state.

another reason is the web owner is not IT person, so he want easy way to manage web site like GUI interface and CSM has to support Yspace at least 3 or 5 year later.

any another way to install Umbraco to existing web without convert the code.

Thanks

Dai Nguyen

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Apr 08, 2011 @ 11:54
    Daniel Bardi

Umbraco is C# .Net and javascript.

Umbraco is not designed to manage an existing site... you should convert to Umbraco... there are many people in this community that are ready and willing to help you in that process... you are not alone in here.

It would be in your best interest for the long term to rebuild the site inside Umbraco.

Apr 08, 2011 @ 12:01
    Pasang Tamang

Here is some newbie's guide http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/a-complete-newbie's-guide-to-umbraco. As Daniel told if you're really interested to convert your existing site into umbraco then please just let us know, we are here to share our knowledge.

Thanks

Pnima

Apr 11, 2011 @ 10:22
    Dai Nguyen

Thanks all for motivate me,

I will go with Umbraco anyway to builb my own web, so help me. For the project i will discuss with the supervisor to make a change or not. 

In case i have the agreement for change the Code. It possible to change all the ASP.Net code to Umbraco C#.Net within 14 hours.

thanks

Dai Nguyen

• Carmen Lai 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 10:44
    Carmen Lai

Hi Pnima,

How can I convert my existing website into Umbraco? 

Feb 18, 2013 @ 11:11
    Pasang Tamang

Hi Carmen,

Please follow this post http://www.blogfodder.co.uk/2010/5/13/building-your-first-umbraco-site-from-scratch as my quick suggestion. The post is old but you can get ideas from it.

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:31
    Carmen Lai

Hi Pasang,

Thanks for the link! It helps a lot but I still faced some issue while moving my existing website content into Umbraco. Any detail guidelines on that?

Many thanks.

Carmen

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:47
    Pasang Tamang

Hi Carmen,

Please describe in details about the issue you're facing. That will help me to understand the issue and give you the right suggestion.

Thanks

Feb 19, 2013 @ 07:04
    Carmen Lai

Hi Pasang,

I have copied templates,stylesheets and images from my website server into Umbraco, but when I cannot get the website running. I hit the error below. 

Is it something wrong with the templates I created? 

Thanks. 

Feb 19, 2013 @ 07:12
    Pasang Tamang

Hi,

Please remove the code of line 5 and lets see. The page directive is no needed in umbraco template because of umbraco master template inheritence.

Feb 19, 2013 @ 07:18
    Carmen Lai

Hi Pasang,

After I removed line5 it show line3 error, and I tried to remove that as well and it is showing another line now =(

Feb 19, 2013 @ 08:39
    Carmen Lai

Hi Pasang,

I managed to get the website running but when I try to create page for another tab (Products,About Us), I hit error below, any idea?

Thanks. 

Feb 19, 2013 @ 08:48
    Pasang Tamang

Hi Carmen,

Please feel free to add me in skype buddhist_pnima and lets keep Umbraco forum a bit clean :)

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft