Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 13:25
    Mikael Mørup

Upgrading old Umbraco site

I have a site running Umbraco version 4.0.2.1

Until now the client did not want me to update it, now i have finally persuaded them to have it updated.

Can i update 4.0.2.1 directly to the new version 4.7 ?

Kind regards

Mikael

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 13:29
    Pasang Tamang

Hi

You may know that 4.7 is based on new schema so you have to make changes on your xslt files also.

Here is further steps about upgrading umbraco http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation

Pnima

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 14:16
    Rich Green

As Pnima states, there is a new xml schema in all umbraco versions 4.5 and above.

To be honest updating from 4.0.2.1 is going to take a little work as any 3rd party packages might not be compatable with post 4.5 Umbraco version.

I'm not exactly sure what the last version was before 4.5 (something like 4.3.0.2??) but an upgrade to this would be more straight forward, depending on your reasons for upgrading.

Rich

• Gordon Saxby 1459 posts 1880 karma points
    Apr 07, 2011 @ 15:10
    Gordon Saxby

I have this as a near future task as well!

It would be a good idea to look at all of the releases on http://umbraco.codeplex.com/ to check for database and config updates. Alternatively, depending on the size of the site - create a brand new instance and copy / recreate everything!

Good luck :-)

• IAMMRBONGO 29 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 14:19
    IAMMRBONGO

Hi Rich,
    Are you suggesting a progressive upgrade path for upgrading 4.0 to 4.7? Or are you suggesting not to bother? I've been tasked with upgrading a site to 4.7 from 4.03 and I'd really like to know if I should have an upgrade path of 4.03 to 4.3 then to 4.7.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2011 @ 14:36
    Rich Green

Hey,

If you are going to go all the way to 4.7 then there's no point going to 4.3 first (or whichever release it was pre 4.5).

I don't know how complicated your project is but things to look out for are:

XML Schema change - this changed at 4.5, though you can run the site in the old schema by setting <UseLegacyXmlSchema> to true in the umbracoSettings.config file, this means all your XSLT shouldn't need to change.

Packages - be aware than certain packages do not work in > 4.5, prehaps have a look and post back here which ones you are using?

Rich

Apr 11, 2011 @ 14:42
    Mikael Mørup

The way i understand these comments is that if you can live with not having the features added from 4.5 and forward, then stay with the latest version before 4.5 (4.0.4.2), oherwise be prepared to spend a lot of time translating your XSLT to the new schema, and make sure any packages you have installed will work with 4.5 and on.

The show stopper of course is if you have packages that simply dosen't work from version 4.5 and up. I have 1 or two packages installed and i'll check first if they work with the newer versions, if they do, i will try to update all the way to 4.7, otherwise i'll have to either stop at 4.0.4.2, or see if alternative packages are available.

Apr 11, 2011 @ 14:47
    Rich Green

@Mikael, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

Though you can use the legacy schema to cut down the time re-writing your xslt, there's also a conversion tool online here http://blackpoint.dk/umbraco-workbench/tools/convert-xml-schema-to-45-.aspx

If you are upgrading to 4.7 you now also have the opportunity to convert any xslt to Razor scripts should you wish.

Must point out that this probably all sounds way harder than it is, as long you can use the same datatypes or find one that does the same thing upgrading isn't too difficult.

Rich

Apr 11, 2011 @ 15:00
    Mikael Mørup

Thanks a lot.

My clients site is running on a virtual server, i'm in the middle of creating a copy of the server image so i can perform upgrade tests on a copy of the system on another machine. That way i can make any number of attempts and revert, until i find the right procedure for the upgrade.

• Gordon Saxby 1459 posts 1880 karma points
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 15:17
    Gordon Saxby

Good plan! You should try and get it to the latest version ... it is a massive improvement on 4.0.x!

I do not know if you can upgrade in one step (to 4.7), I suggest that you go to CodePlex and read the comments on each release. There is also an upgrade document that you can download.

• IAMMRBONGO 29 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 15:20
    IAMMRBONGO

Thanks guys but I've actually already modified the umbracoSettings.config file though I'm not sure that I nessesarily put it in the right place!!

Looking at the XML for the config I put it under the content node and hope that I got it right. But nobody actually specifies where the node is supposed to go and there is no DTD or schema for the xml file. So I'm only using guess work here

Apr 11, 2011 @ 15:45
    Mikael Mørup

What are the drawbacks of using the old XSLT schema with the new versions of Umbraco ?

Apr 11, 2011 @ 17:35
    Rich Green

@Mikael the new schema is easier to read, but to be honest, in my personal opinion if you had old xslt that worked I wouldn't bother rewriting it for the sake of the change.

IF you wanted to rewrite them, I'd be more inclinded to rewrite them into Razor.

Rich

Apr 12, 2011 @ 11:13
    Mikael Mørup

When upgrading, i need to merge the contents of my web.config file with the new one, any hints on doing that without mesing everything up ?

I have loads of stuff in there that i added, i can copy that to the new web.config, no problem, but how about all the settings that was there from the start that i might have changed ? how do i know which ones to move to the new web.config which is probably very different ?

Apr 12, 2011 @ 11:19
    Rich Green

I would download http://winmerge.org/ get a 'clean' web.config from the version your are currently using and compare them, at least then you know what you need to copy over.

Then it's probably easier to start with a 4.7 web.config file and add the 'extra' bits from the old web.config file.

Rich 

Apr 12, 2011 @ 15:12
    Mikael Mørup

Thanks.

One more question:

What about .net usercontrols ? do they need to be compiled for .net 4.0 ?

Apr 12, 2011 @ 15:33
    Rich Green

They should still work fine as far as I know.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft