Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• IAMMRBONGO 29 posts 49 karma points
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 13:22
    IAMMRBONGO

Having a problem upgrading an existing site in umbraco during database upgrade

I'm getting a nasty bug in the code when I try and upgrade from 4.03 to 4.7 I'm basically following the standard article on this.

I've put the site on my lappie (including moving the db) and got it working on there then I've started moving all the required files from the latest install into the existing installation. I'm pretty sure that this is happening when the database goes off to do an upgrade.

The trace stack is listed below. I don't seem to be able to locate the Basepage at all and suspect that it's compiled somewhere. I've looked at the default page in the install directory but it's code behind is precompiled.

Any ideas?

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.presentation.install._default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +87
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24
    umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +18
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3047

Apr 11, 2011 @ 15:50
    IAMMRBONGO

I've been looking through the sourcecode and my guess is that it's having trouble detecting if the db has been upgraded. Difficult to tell where the error actually occurs though

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2011 @ 20:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi IAMMRBONGO

Are you trying to go directly from 4.0.3 to 4.7? And what article is it that you're reffering to?

If I remember correctly you need to take this path: 4.0.3 -> 4.5 -> 4.7.

/Jan

Apr 12, 2011 @ 11:17
    IAMMRBONGO

Thanks Jan,
    For some reason I'd got some wrong information off of the forum advising me to upgrade directly. Guess I should have questioned it really. Looks to have worked this time

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 21:42
    Jan Skovgaard

I'm happy to hear you we're able to move on.

It's easy to get confused about the proper upgrade path but in this WIKI entry http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/upgrading-an-umbraco-installation it's described what to be aware of...I know it's a bit late for you but posting for future reference if people come across this post.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft