Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 23:17
    Laurent Lequenne

Umbraco 4.7 install with SQL CE

Database configuration

To complete this step you will either need a blank database or, if you do not have a blank database available, choose the SQL CE 4 embedded database (This is the recommended approach for first time users or if you are unsure).

If you are not using the SQL CE 4 embedded database you will need the connection details for your database, such as the "connection string". You may need to contact your system administrator or web host for this information.

1. Select which database option best fits you:

2. Simple file-based database:

Missing files: SQL CE 4 requires that you manually add the SQL CE 4 runtime to your Umbraco installation.
    You can either use the following instructions on how to add SQL CE 4 or select another database type from the dropdown above.

So I copied the sqlcecompact40.dll in the bin directory... I didn't found any instructions beyond the link ? What can I do, to make it work ?  I click I WANT TO USE SQL CE 4 ! BUT NOTHING HAPPENS !
  • Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 12, 2011 @ 23:32
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Laurent,

Seems that the wiki page got renamed and caused a broken link!

Try this page instead: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/using-sql-ce-4-with-umbraco-46

Essentially, you'll need to copy both the "amd64" and "x86" folders from your SQLCE program files folder into your /bin folder.

To be honest, I find that a massive pain in the arse... so I always download the "Umbraco_4.7.0_WebDeploy_NET_4.0" release (instead of the recommended "Umbraco 4.7.0 binaries" one) ... as it already contains all the SQL CE4 assemblies.  (Why are they different? Who knows? My guess is that its political thing with Microsoft for WebMatrix/WebPI installs? but that's just my opinion!)

Cheers, Lee.

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    Apr 13, 2011 @ 01:33
    Laurent Lequenne

So the exact thing is to copy the private Folder of the SQL CE program files folder into the bin and make sure that the SQLCE4Umbraco.dll is installed.... I tried an install through the webinstaller, it was not working. An install through webmatrix was working, and then yes it's easy to figure out what has to be done.

The connection string should looks like :

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper,SQLCE4Umbraco;data source=|DataDirectory|\cmwa.umbraco.sdf" />

I'm just thinking that the umbraco guys, are just fooling us around... Everything is a pain in the ARSE , as you say, and there is definitely no future evolution, as I can see there is no improvement at all... 

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 05:38
    Carlos Mosqueda

Lee,

How do you set up the WebDeploy? I am assuming you put it in your wwwroot, set up IIS for .Net4.0 app pool and set Network Service permssions to edit everything?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 19, 2011 @ 10:30
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Carlos,

I saw your other forum post. Sorry to hear about your install problems - nightmare!

My typical set-up for developing Umbraco on my local machine is to use SQLCE4 database along with IIS Express.

I download the "Umbraco_4.7.0_WebDeploy_NET_4.0" from CodePlex, extract that on my filesystem (it doesn't really matter where - but I do have it under '\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco'). Then I run IIS Express from that directory.  I have a shortcut set-up on my computer using this approach: Easily Serve Any Folder in IIS Express.

I'm not required to set any manual permissions, etc. It just works.

Best of luck, let us know how to get on.

Cheers, Lee.

• indra kurniawan 12 posts 32 karma points
    Oct 31, 2011 @ 03:31
    indra kurniawan

You've made my day Lee, this is big productivity boost. Thanks for sharing

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft