Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 15, 2011 @ 15:31
    Daniel Harris

Installation using WPI not going as smoothly as expected

Hi,

I've been trying to get Umbraco installed onto my server using the Web Platform Installer.

The furthest i've managed to get it to installing a Skin, after overcoming a few permissions related issues.

I've not used the WPI before, but have installed other CMS like Kentico Free edition using it's own installer with no issues.

I was under the impression that by installing via WPI you shouldn't need to set any permissions really. Is this an incorrect assumption?

I'm fine altering permissions, but it does seem as though there is a lot of trial and error, is it common for people to have to fiddle with permissions when installing via WPI?

Really hoping to get Umbraco up and running, as Kentico Free only allows one editor, Umbraco looks a little easier for end users also.

I ran the WPI as Administrator. The server is running Windows Server 2008 Standard (x86).

I had permissions errors for reading web.config first, managed to sort that and get the installer running.

Second issue was when trying to install a Starter Kit, managed to fix that problem also.

Then choosing a theme to install, hit another error. At this point I decided something must be wrong and i've removed the installation, and will try again fresh later.

I also noticed when I got the install/default.aspx page to run up, the image for the link to a video showing how to set permissions wasn't working.

Have installed Kentico a few times, and Wordpress and not had any issues on this server, so i'm hoping i've made an obvious albeit silly mistake and can get Umbraco going asap :-)

Thanks,

Dan

Apr 15, 2011 @ 16:08
    Daniel Harris

Just to elaborate:

• I didn't install to a sub directory, it's definitely in the root of the site
    • The first error I got right after installing was to do with a section in the Web.Config (AJAX section) - I had to comment this out to continue
    • The Application Pool Umbraco is running under is on .NET 4 Integrated
    • I checked the Wiki for Server 2008 installation instructions, but it just says use WPI to install, and doesn't mention that there should be any other configuration regarding permissions etc.
    If anybody has an suggestions I would love to hear them and will try them all.
    If I don't get any joy I think I will try a manual installation rather than using the WPI method.
    UPDATE
    I have just setup a new site, and ensured that it can be viewed both remotely, and locally (Before installing Umbraco) so seems as though general permissions are OK.
    I then installed Umbraco to this existing site, and when trying to run it up I get a 500 error, relating to the Web.Config. The error is:
    The configuration section 'system.web.extensions' cannot be read because it is missing a section declaration
     <!-- ASPNETAJAX --> 172: <system.web.extensions> 173: <scripting>
    I'm not sure why this error is appearing, but I am running in a .NET 4.0 Integrated App Pool, and was installed using WPI.
    I'm not sure why this error is appearing, but any posts i've seen talking about it people have commented it out to try and get things working, if this is necessary why is that entry in the Web.Config?

• MGleason 0 posts 20 karma points
    Apr 15, 2011 @ 18:26
    MGleason

I'm having a similar issue.  Tried installing it every way from Sunday using WPI and the manual install.  Everytime I get to the section for choosing a Starter Kit and it fails.  If I edit the web.config and turn customerrors off, I get a "Given key was not present in the dictionary " error.  If I skip the starter kits, I get other errors and end up with a site that's almost blank - no frontpage, etc.

I've tried installing in the root and virtual directories.  Same result each time - I actually seemed to end up with more installing in a virual directory.

Apr 19, 2011 @ 14:40
    Daniel Harris

Sometimes if you try and do a manual install you may need to right click on the files you copied from the zip file, go into their properties and choose "Unblock file". If you're on Windows Server 2008, it can block files that it recognises as coming from another computer.

Have you had any luck since your last post?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft