Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dariune 21 posts 40 karma points
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 22:19
    Dariune

Finding a Host

Hi all

Earlier today i asked a question which was very quickly answered by Jan (thankyou)

My situation is this. I generally use TSOHost to host the websites i build and i have built my first website using Umbraco and was hoping to use them.

After contacting them they have said that they dont support Umbracos self contained Database and i would have to use their more expensive package and use MSSQL.

I dont particularly want to do this. Does anyone know of any decent hosts who offer full trust and cater for Umbracos self contained database?

Thanks in advance

Dariune

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 18, 2011 @ 22:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daruine

Do you have an account where you could try to install Umbraco using the CESQL database?

I have done this with succes on my host who also claimed that they did not support it. So if you have an opportunity to test it I think you should.

Don't know about hosts outside of Denmark unfortunately.

/Jan

Apr 19, 2011 @ 00:33
    Dariune

Hiya

Unfortunately i only have a .Net2 website and if i change the version it buggers up that website so i cant adequately test it.

I assume to install Umbraco i just upload the site directory which has Umbraco in it (and working locally) to a directory on the host right?

If thats the case then i tried that and under .Net2 it says i need ot turn custom errors on, on the web.config (to which there are now two because there was already one on the site already there) and if i set it to .Net4 it breaks the whole site.

Anyonehere use TSOHost? I would love it if it did work and if it was as simple as just uploading the files.

Thanks for your help

Dariune

Apr 19, 2011 @ 18:50
    Dariune

If there is no one wyho knows of a host which works with CESQL does anyone know if its easy to transfer the database from CESQL to MySQL?

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 19:48
    Nick Portelli

SQLCE 4 doesn't require any install anymore, so it should work anywhere. (edit: anywhere with .net 4 that is.)  Just need to upload the dll.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/06/30/new-embedded-database-support-with-asp-net.aspx

I use MochaHost.com and Umbraco works fine there.  I only hear good things about http://www.cytanium.com/ too.  Plus they make install easy with webmatrix.

Apr 19, 2011 @ 19:53
    Dariune

TSO are saying it shouldnt work because they run a clustered host. Is that possible?

If i can go with them i would rather do so.

So i either need to see if i can find a way to get SQLCE working or i need to convert it to MySQL which im currently trying to look into.

Thanks for your reply Nick.

• Nick Portelli 76 posts 102 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 19:58
    Nick Portelli

Judging by this page http://www.tsohost.co.uk/windows_webhosting.php It seems it should run Umbraco just fine.  But if you have the shared account and they don't let you change your iis settings then I see the issue.  Can you have support keep your current at at .net 2 and make a new website with .net4 for you?

Apr 19, 2011 @ 20:04
    Dariune

I Dont think that will be too much of a problem because i will be buying a single cheap package from them for this particular website, and as i already know their control panel i know i can change that to .net4 without a problem/

However, they do mention that they dont think that SQLCE will work. I assume you mean, by uploading the dll, that i just upload the directory which has my website and Umbraco in it? Im guessing the dll in question is somewhere in there?

If it doesnt work, i need to convert the whole thing to MySQL. I know i have already asked a lot, but do you know any guides or tips on doing that? 

Thanks so much for your help

Dariune

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft