Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Henk 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 14:22
    Henk

Using on a host-server?

Hi,

I am new to Umbraco.

This is my scenario: I develop at home on my laptop, using a local MS SQL-databaseserver. Then I want to ftp-upload the full directory with all sub-directories to my hosting-provider. There I will use the SQL-server from my hosting provider.

Is it really this simple?

Thank for you advice,

Henk

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 16:04
    Daniel Harris

Are you on a basic shared hosting package, or do you have a VPS with root access?

Doing it in this way may cause some issues with Permissions, but as long as you sent them correctly once uploaded to your hosts server you should be okay.

You also have to think about how are you going to get your data over to the new server, as some hosts (if it's a shared package which i'm assuming your on) won't allow you to create or restore databases through MS SQL Management Studio.

I always find it easier to just install the CMS to the server it will be live on, do the work, and then push it live. This is my preferred way of working, and it has saved me a few headaches in the past where I haven't had the bother of migrating to a new server.

Apr 20, 2011 @ 21:00
    Henk

Thanks for helping, Daniel.

Yes, I am on a shared hosting packet. No remote desktop, so I am afraid of these headaches over rights, that you mentioned.

I am still not sure if I can install my own Umbraco on this packet. Disk space is enough, I have an SQL database and .Net 4.0.

How did you install the CMS to the server? Because locally I used the installer on the IIS and followed the wizzard - piece of cake!

• Daniel Harris 33 posts 94 karma points
    Apr 21, 2011 @ 13:31
    Daniel Harris

It sounds like you should be okay to get it running, as long as you set the correct permissions.

Do you have access to try uploading it now? If so, best thing to do is just try it.

Restoring the database can be the difficult part sometimes, depending on your host.

If you have Skype I could try and help you with it on there if you get stuck, just show your screen and I can try and help diagnose any problems.

My SkpeID is: danharris86

If you have the hosting package already, just give it a go. Create a new website through your control panel, give it a dedicated App Pool running as ".NET 4 Integrated" then upload your files via FTP.

You will need to get the database up, and modify the connection string in the web.config. I think the hardest part will be getting the DB onto the server, if your host doesn't allow you attach a new DB / Restore a DB.

May 07, 2011 @ 10:23
    Henk

Thanks for helping, I am up and running. My host=provider installed Imbraco 4.7 for me. The errors I encounter I will discuss in another topic.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft