Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 4 posts 24 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 18:42
    Tim

Install screen shows nothing, just background image

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem installing the latest version of Umbraco on our web server.

I've followed the manul install steps fine on my dev box, and it all works well.

On the web server, I've done the same but when I navigate to the install page it just shows the background image with no controls, and then the page finishes loading (apparently successfully!)

It may be something to do with using port 81 on the webserver, and it also has a full copy of SQL Server instead of the express edition I'm running here (not that Umbraco has even asked for login details yet ;-)

It could also be permissions but I created a batch file and ran the same one on the server as I did here.

I've also checked the web.config file and umbracoConfigurationStatus = "" so it knows it hasn't installed.

Any ideas much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Tim

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 22:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tim

Is the blank screen appearing after install or when you want to install? (On the 1. step).

And could you provide some more information about the server you're having trouble installing on?

It's probably a issue with permissions as you mention. Have you made sure that the app pool is running integrated mode?

Does network service and iusr have the sufficient permissions?

/Jan

Apr 20, 2011 @ 09:32
    Tim

Hi Jan,

Thanks for trying to help :-)

I get the blank screen (that just shows the Umbraco sunset image with nothing else, not controls, no error message) when I want to install - on first navigation to the url.

It's a windows 2008 web server and I used the following batch file (which I ran from command line to make sure I could read the output)

icacls . /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls app_code /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_browsers /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)RX
    icacls app_data /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls bin /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls config /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls css /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls data /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls masterpages /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls media /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls python /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls scripts /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls umbraco /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls usercontrols /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)R
    icacls xslt /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M
    icacls web.config /grant "IIS APPPOOL\umbraco":(OI)(CI)M

umbraco is the application pool name and it does now appear in the security tab on the files and folders when I look.

Network service had no permissions (it didn't need them on my Win 7 dev box) but just to be sure I have given Network Service and umbraco app pool 'user' full control of all files and folders. Still getting the same result :-(

App Pool is running in integrated mode, and I've bumped it to .net framework 4 as it gives a web.config file error with framework 2.

I'm thinking I might delete everything and start again, and if all else fails run the web installer! It's just there's a live website running SQL server that gets used on a very regular basis, and I thought manual installation would be the best chance of not destroying everything else ;-)

Cheers,

Tim

May 09, 2011 @ 18:11
    Tim

Just an update - I've tried several flavours of this install again and still can't get it to work.

I noticed that someone else created another user for connecting instead of the app pool - even this has the same result (with my user which has admin privleges!). I'm totally stumped...

May 09, 2011 @ 18:16
    Tim

Hmm... a solution.

I've been trying to run the install via IE8 from remote desktop on the webserver.

Now I've connected to the IP address via firefox from my local PC I can see everything fine.

Must be to do with IE permissions on the server as opposed to permissions on the actual directories...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft