Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 16:57
    Brendan Rice

Umbraco Base Website as a template

I am in the process of putting together a base umbraco website that I can quickly get new projects up and running with. I would really appreciate any help or guidance with the following:

1. What packages do you use in every project?
    2. What Doc types/Properties do you use in every project
    3. What javascript/css frameworks do you use i.e. Eric Meyers reset
    4. How do you manage forms i.e. contact forms

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 18:21
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Brendan,

Currently, I've got a zip archive of a base Umbraco v4.7 site - using SQL CE4 - that contains all my base doc-types/templates, etc.  Got it down to a generic level, so can use on pretty all new projects.  (before anyone asks, I'm not sharing the zip - sorry!)

Packages I use on every project... at the moment, it's only uComponents and FamFamFam icons.  (Used to be that and Desktop Media Uploader, which is now part of v4.7, so that's great!)

DocTypes... few "base" ones that have all the hidden gems in there - then one of generic content pages and another for "homepage".

JavaScripts/CSS ... I use jQuery all the time, (coz I know it).  As for CSS framework, I don't have anything in place - but do opt for 960 Grid, or Blueprint CSS.

As for forms... I don't have anything generic - also each site is different.  So I either roll my own in a .NET user-control ... or use Contour?

Cheers, Lee.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Apr 20, 2011 @ 23:22
    Brendan Rice

Hi Lee,

this sounds very similar to what I have at the minute.  Here are a few points about where I am at, at the minute:

1. I have been trying to add in better support for SEO and am going to add the following packages:
        http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/301-url-tracker
        http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/permanent-redirect

2. I have also got a pile of SEO routing rules that follow best practice

3. Base doctypes and templates are in there as well

4. I have jquery in there as well and also the 960 grid system as that is what I use most 

5. Forgot about your robots.txt package (thanks btw)

That is pretty much where I am at. Sounds like it is pretty close to what you have. I was think of taking it a step further and start building up a library of XSLT snippets that I commonly use, do you think there is any point?

Cheers, B

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft