Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simeon Mattes 8 posts 28 karma points
    Apr 23, 2011 @ 01:05
    Simeon Mattes

Installation Issue in Umbraco 4.7

Hi,

I'm quite new in .net and umbraco is one of my first attempt. I'm trying to install it on a local machine with the following characteristics:

1. Windows 2008 - 32bit
    2. SQL Server 2008
    3. IIS 7
    4. Visual Studio 2008

I used the Microsoft Web Platform Installer (http://umbraco.com/download) and everything installed fine. However, after the installation I launched the page for the installation of umbraco cms (http://umbraco.mydomain/install/default.aspx) but I received the following error:

Server Error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I started searching around and it seems that I have a problem with <system.web.extension>. To tell you the truth I don't know what it is. It seems that there is something wrong with the web.config because both IIS as compilation of Visual studio throw an error on line 172

<!-- ASPNETAJAX -->

172:  <system.web.extensions>

173:    <scripting>

174:      <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />

175:    </scripting>

176:  </system.web.extensions>

I have checked the Application pool of umbraco folder in IIS and it uses .net 4.0. I don't know however what's going on with this aspnetajax.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 23, 2011 @ 06:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simeon

Do you have .NET 4 installed on your machine? You need this to be installed in order to get 4.7 running.

Actually it should install along with Umbraco if I'm not mistaken...so

1) Make sure it's installed

2) Make sure that the app pool is configured to use .net 4.

I'm 99% sure that this is why you get this error :-)

/Jan

• devtage 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 23, 2011 @ 09:52
    devtage

I am suspecting your problem might be related to the .NET4.0 Application pool.  v4.7 needs .NET4.0,

Just like Jan has indicated, i will check if .NET4.0 is first of all installed, if not, then install it. Then check your application pool to be sure the website is in .NET4.0 application pool.

All the best!

Apr 23, 2011 @ 10:39
    Simeon Mattes

Jan and devtage thanks for your reply.

As I have mentioned at the end of my first post I have already checked out these settings. Because I thought that these was my problem I installed it again (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en), though without uninstalling it first. I just checked "repair". In my pc the following applications are installed (Programs and features):

1. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    2. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    3. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    4. Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extentions 1.0
    5. Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v.1.0 (x86)
    6. Microsoft Sync Services for ADO.NET v2.0 (x86)
    7. Microsoft Web Deploy 2.0
    8. And some other that have to do with visual studio 2008
    In my IIS I have:
    Application Pools
    1. Name, Status, .NET Framework, Managed Pipeline,  Identity, Aplications
    2. ASP.NET v4.0, Started, v4.0, Integrated, NetworkService, 0
    3. ASP.NET v4.0 Classic, Started, v4.0,  Integrated, NetworkService, 0
    4. Classic .NET AppPoll,Started, v4.0,  Integrated, NetworkService, 0
    5. DefaultAppPool, Started, v4.0,  Integrated, NetworkService, 1
    6. Umbraco, Started, v4.0,  Integrated, NetworkService, 1
    Is there any posibility to be a conflict or the IIS is miconfigured? Should I unistall all .NET Frameworks and install them again?
    Thanks in advance

Apr 23, 2011 @ 17:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simeon

Hmm...maybe you need to install ASP.NET Ajax then...

Maybe try to get it from here perhaps? http://aspnet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=AJAX

/Jan

Apr 23, 2011 @ 20:34
    Simeon Mattes

Dear Jan,

Unfortunately what you've told me didn't solve my problem. I had already tried it while I was looking alone for a solution but without any success. What else could I do?

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Apr 24, 2011 @ 00:02
    Lesley

Hi Simeon,

In your web.config file, edit the customErrors line so that you can get more details about the error from the browser:

<customErrors mode="Off" />

Post the detail of the 500 error you then get.

Also, what is the exception message given in Visual Studio (if not the same)?

Lesley

Apr 24, 2011 @ 00:41
    Simeon Mattes

Hi Lesley,

in web.config I found the customeErros line you 've old me and from <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" /> I changed it to <customErrors mode="Off" />. I refreshed the page on my Browser and I continue to receive the same error. Nothing changed.

In microsoft Visual Studio I do the following:

1. File->Open->Web Site
    2. File System->C:\inethub\wwwroot\umbraco
    3. Start Debugging
    4. A message appears: "There were build error. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build"
    5. Yes
    6. A browser opens on : http://localhost:49260/umbraco/ and I receive the error message
      Server Error in '/umbraco' Application.
      Configuration Error
      Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions.
      Source Error:

7. Line 148:  </system.web>
      Line 149:   <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
      Line 150: <system.web.extensions>
      Line 151:        <scripting>
      Line 152:           <scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true"/>

Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\web.config    Line: 150

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3619; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618              
    8. In the Error List of Microsoft Visual Studio I have 1 Error and 2 Warnings:
      Warning 1 The 'requestValidationMode' attribute is not declared. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\web.config 68 16 C:\...\umbraco\
      Warning 2 The 'targetFramework' attribute is not declared. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\web.config 101 64 C:\...\umbraco\
      Error 25 Unrecognized configuration section system.web.extensions. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\umbraco\web.config 150
    Interesting. Why does it say Version Information Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3619; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3618? I'm sure that in the Application pool of umbraco folder in IIS I uses .net 4.0. 

• devtage 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 24, 2011 @ 03:57
    devtage

I think your target framework is still .NET2.0 (or.NET3.5). Can you do this:

Assuming you are using IIS7:

1. Open the IIS, --> Sites ---> Go to your Website and right click

2. Chose Manage Website --> Advanced Settings --> Confirm your Application Pool:

Note the Application Pool Name displayed in the Dialog

Go back to the root of IIS display and Display the Applicationn Pools

Confirm the  target .NET FrameWork of your application Pool.

If its not .NET 4.0, then change it: right Click --> Basic Settings --> Choose the Appropriate target Framework (In this case .NET 4.0)

I hope these helps.

GB (devtage)

Apr 24, 2011 @ 04:47
    Simeon Mattes

I have IIS7 but the target .NET Framework seems to be .NET 4.0

Apr 24, 2011 @ 07:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simeon

What are the other option from the dropdown in the screendump?

/Jan

Apr 24, 2011 @ 15:04
    Lesley

Simeon,

If you are building/debugging in Visual Studio, your VS project will need to be set to target .net 4 as well. 

It looks like your http://localhost:49260/umbraco/  is coming from VS's built-in web server - this url is not coming via the settings you have in IIS at all. Change the target .net version in the project properties.

I hope this makes sense.

Lesley

Apr 24, 2011 @ 23:04
    Simeon Mattes

Hi Lesley,

In properties page of Visual Studio I have the following options

Interestingly enough is that it doesn't have the option of .NET 4.0

Hi Jan,

The other options are the one that I have in the application Pool of IIS 7.

I have tested the all but without any success.

Apr 24, 2011 @ 23:40
    Lesley

I think maybe .net 4 needs to be registered in IIS. Give this a go...

Open a cmd prompt (as administrator), and

cd %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 

Then run:

aspnet_regiis -i

If you have more than this one site in IIS, the -i switch is not necessarily the best option. If in doubt, check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(v=vs.80).aspx 

Edit: I've just taken a closer look at your VS screenprint, and notice you're running 2008. Unfortunately there is no support for .net 4 in that version of Visual Studio; only VS2010 can target .net 4. You'll still be able to use it to edit your files but won't be able to use it to build, debug or launch localhost correctly.

Apr 25, 2011 @ 04:44
    Simeon Mattes

Lesley,

thanks again for your reply but it didn't give any result. Does it play a role that I have installe everything in Windows 2008 while I was Administrator?

Moreover every time I try check out some configurations of the site in the IIS I receive the following error:

Apr 26, 2011 @ 00:52
    Lesley

Hi again Simeon,

At first glance, that error looks like the app pool is not .net 4. But you've already checked that, so can you post your whole web.config here? Meantime, there's a lot on Google about this error. This one for instance might help: http://forums.asp.net/p/1547286/4139626.aspx

Lesley

Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:19
    Simeon Mattes

Hi again,

I finally found the solution. It needs SP2 for windows Server 2008.

http://www.asp.net/learn/whitepapers/aspnet4/breaking-changes

Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 SP1, where neither hotfix KB958854 nor SP2 are installed. In this configuration, the IIS 7 configuration system incorrectly merges an application's managed configuration by comparing the application-level Web.config file to the ASP.NET 2.0 machine.config files. Because of this, application-level Web.config files from the .NET Framework 3.5 or later must have asystem.web.extensions configuration section definition (the element) in order not to cause an IIS 7 validation failure.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft