Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Farina 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 21:47
    Paul Farina

Can Umbraco run with sessionState disabled?

Hi,

I'm working in a very limited environment and would like to know if it is at all possible to log into the CMS with sessionState being disabled.

Is there anyway to configure the CMS to run on cookies instead?

I'm running version 4.5.2 (.NET 3.5) on windows 2003 / sqlserver 2005

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 23:01
    Richard Soeteman

I don't think it's possible since session is used several times in the source. Might be that it's only for certain functionality such as editing members. So maybe not relevant for your implementation. I would suggest you try it yourself and check that every item you want to use works without sessionstate enabled.

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 26, 2011 @ 23:46
    Paul Farina

Thanks Richard,

Considering I can't even get past the Umbraco login screen once I disable sessionState I am assuming it isn't possible without tearing into the source code.
    I have a couple clients with these types of restrictions and it may be a good feature to add an AppSetting that would set umbraco to operate without storing anything in session and using encrypted cookies instead.

Regards,

-Paul

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 27, 2011 @ 08:17
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Paul,

I suggest you report that on Codeplex http://umbraco.codeplex.com/ May I ask why your clients want this and any do you have other restrictions?

Cheers,

Richard

Apr 28, 2011 @ 18:05
    Paul Farina

Sure, the client has a load balanced server farm that runs over 200+ consumer facing websites for their company for various marketing promos. 150+ of them are using Sitefinity as a CMS.. So for performance reasons they don't have session enabled and rather applications use viewstate or cookies to maintain state on a user by user basis. The good news is the farm runs off of a SAN so file replication isn't an issue.

To keep a long story short, I ended up downloading the source code of version 4.5.3 and updated it not to use session on login and all seems to be working well. All I could find were 2 calls setting the height and width of something in the login.cs referenced by the Login.aspx page.. but then never actually call it.  I did notice session being used in other parts of the site, but all we need is the content editor and the media library to work.. the rest is powered by custom user controls.

Other restrictions we're dealing with is that there is a different san for writable folders vs readable folders. So we've created virtual folders to the other san to accomodate image uploads and such.. however this doesn't work for all the files in the app_data folder, namely the access.config. So we've left that folder there as read only and moved the umbraco.config to a different folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft