Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil 6 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 16:05
    Phil

Problems logging in with admin user with a fresh install

I recently did a new installation of Umbraco with a new SQL Server database on my local machine using the Web PI. This completed without error. I went to the new site created by the installer, which populated the database I had created during the initial WebPI setup and created an admin user to access the administration section.

However, I am not able to log in using the username/password for the admin user. Whenever I try, it gives me the shaking red box.

I checked in the dbo.umbracoUser table, and the password was different to the one I specified, but even if I change the password in the database to something different and use that it doesn't let me log on.

I've tried changing the username/password in the umbracoDbDSN key in the web.config file to a login that I for the SQL Server database that I know works, and I've even tried copy/pasting the umbracoDbDSN key from an installation where I am successfully able to log in, but that doesn't work either.

I have looked for similar topics on here, but I can't see a solution that seems to be applicable in this case. If anybody has any advice, I'd be very grateful.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 16:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you can read the clear-text password in the database then you should probably remove this attribute from the web.config: passwordFormat="Hashed"

May 03, 2011 @ 12:56
    Phil

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I've removed the passwordFormat attribute from the UmbracoMembershipProvider and UserMembership provider tags but it still doesn't work, even though I've copy pasted the username and password from the dbo.umbracoUser table. I get the same shaking red box when I try to log into the /umbraco/umbraco.aspx page - I don't know if this is a problem with connecting to the database or with validating my credentials (or something else entirely), since it doesn't say.

I've noticed that when I change the umbracoDbDsn key to a database that I know works, it doesn't give me the shaking red box. Instead, it seems to let me log in, but then just bring up the same login page and prompts me to enter my username and password again.

May 03, 2011 @ 15:17
    Phil

Update: I removed the website and tried doing a new installation using the web platform installer. This time, I removed the passwordFormat attribute in web.config before I set up the site. When I do this, and then click on the add content button at the end of the setup procedure. I no longer get the shaking red box, but it just keeps redirecting me to the login page.

May 04, 2011 @ 16:22
    Phil

I managed to fix this problem. It was due to the fact I had an underscore in my host header which seemed to be causing the problem - I wasn't aware that this isn't allowed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft