Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• cbae 18 posts 40 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 03:23
    cbae

Installation times out when selecting Personal site starter kit

I'm running a SQL Server CE 4.0 deployment downloaded from WebMatrix Web Gallery. The progress bar was sitting at 20% (progress message said "Downloading starter kit..." or something like that) when the time out occurred.

I tried installing without selecting a starter kit. It installed fine this way. Then I attempted to install the starter kit from the Developer tree "Install starter kit" node. First of all, when I clicked the option to install the Personal site, I got no visual cue that it was actually attempting to install. I eventually found that it actually does something because I tried clicking all of the starter kits and the Business starter ended up getting installed. Of course, I had to uninstall that and try again. When I tried again from the Developer tree, I patiently waited, and I got another time out. Grrrr!!!

I decided to check the Content tree, and it looks like only part of the pages got installed. I was missing the "About" and "Gallery" pages. I deleted all the content, and tried again. Another time-out. I checked the Content tree again, and now all the page nodes are there in the tree, but I get this error message on the details pane:

Error running Reader:
    SQL Statement:
    select * from comment where spam != 1 order by created desc

This is NOT a good first-time experience with this CMS.

• cbae 18 posts 40 karma points
    May 09, 2011 @ 05:31
    cbae

This is the only way I could get the Personal site installed without error.

1. Install Umbraco.

2. Run setup without installing starter kit.

3. Manually add the "Comment" table to the database to prevent runtime error.

4. Increase the executionTimeout value of the httpRuntime node in the web.config file to prevent timeout during package installation.

5. Install Personal site starter kit from the "Developer" tree.

6. Whew!

• Donal Conlon 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 16, 2011 @ 04:49
    Donal Conlon

The starter kits are very flaky.  I have hit all sorts of issues with them, including the one you describe.  I have re-created several sites to try and get them working correctly; not sure i've been successful once.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft