Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dana 10 posts 30 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 23:32
    Dana

old documentation

Hey dudes. I know the umbraco online world has gone through changes recently, but I really need some of the older installation guides, none of which appears to be available on the current wiki.

Are the old documentation files (anything that used to be under http://umbraco.com/documentation/books/...) ever going to come back in archive form? Or has some hero maintained them in an offsite archive?

I could really use some of that old documentation.

Here's why, if anyone cares. It's a sad story.

I worked for a company in 2008 and helped set up a site using Umbraco 3.0. I got laid off shortly after the site was done, but they rehired me a few months ago. The site is still there, and still in 3.0. I need to upgrade it, but I only have a windows 2003 server right now, so I can't upgrade past 4.0 yet. Yeah, so I need old documentation.

Also, we don't have a test server. So I'm trying to set one up locally on a Windows XP professional machine, and I need to see if its possible to install Umbraco 4.0 on IIS.Because, you know, I'd like to test things before I go upgrading a live site. There's a development server, but it's being used as a kind of weird intranet. So I can't mess with that installation either.

And yes, they pay me for this. It's crazy, I know.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer. I don't really know what I'm doing.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 12, 2011 @ 23:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dana

I think if you're lucky the waybackmachine is to the rescue! http://replay.web.archive.org/20090628115329/http://umbraco.org/documentation - Seems like some of the old documentation can be found in there but I can't guarantee you that it's all possible to find in there like this...but give it a shot :-)

Unfortunately I don't know if the old documentation will be available on the new site.

It's good to hear you got rehired but weird decision to let you go in the first place, huh?

You should be able to get version 4 running on XP with IIS6 and .NET 2 I guess...if you need to find some older versions of Umbraco you can find them in here..http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/

If there is anything you're in doubt about please don't hesitate to ask in here - even though you're using older versions of Umbraco I'm sure many in here will be able to answer your questions and help you move forward since many seasoned users have been using v3 of Umbraco as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

/Jan

• Dana 10 posts 30 karma points
    May 13, 2011 @ 21:16
    Dana

Thanks, Jan!

I really do love the Wayback Machine.

With Umbraco 4.0, I guess .NET 3.5 and .NET 4 are too advanced? I've got 4 on this Windows box right now.

I guess I'll scan the Forum to see what kind of experiences people have had upgrading from 3 to 4, but if anyone happens upon this thread and wants to pass on a story/useful info/opinions, I'd welcome anything. I'm learning as I go, which is awesome, frustrating, challenging, and rewarding, all in one.

dl

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 13, 2011 @ 23:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dana

Yes it can sometimes be a life safer, right? :-)

What do you mean by too advaned? That it cannot be installed on the machine, or? - As far as I know it should be possible to install .NET 3.5 on windows XP SP2 so if you can get SP2 on it and .NET 4.0 requires SP3...but I don't know if there are other things to be aware of that could potentially be a problem if running .NET 4.0 on it...a part from certain packages that will probably not work since it's compiled against an older version.

Hope this helps a bit.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft