Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• LeaUK 34 posts 55 karma points
    May 15, 2011 @ 18:18
    LeaUK

Porting from one domain to another.. MSSQL 2008 Express

Hi all

I've spent HOURs trying to copy/import/export dbs across domain names and get it running on the new domain and have failed miserably.

Using IIS6, MS SQL2008 Express and 2008 management tools.

The most favorable was:

copy root web files/folders from old domain to new domain

create new db to match new domain name and import with MS 2008 Management tools old db

update web.config with new credentials

Everything worked, apart from publishing, which throws an error.

I've tried installing Umbraco from fresh, letting it create the 2008 db and trying an import from the previous db, but this fails the 'verification' stage repeatedly.

Your pointers in how to move/copy domains from one domain name to another domain name with specific on MSSQL 2008 would be REALLY appreciated.

Thank you

Lea 

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    May 16, 2011 @ 08:37
    Dirk De Grave

LeaUK,

Copying over a site should be as simple as:

• Backup db on domain 1
    • Copy complete directory structure from domain 1 to domain 2
    • Restore backup of db on domain 2

Of course have to update the web.config to point to the correct db on domain 2

Republish the entire site on domain 2 and all should be well.

Cheers,

/Dirk

May 16, 2011 @ 17:43
    LeaUK

Hi Dirk

The issue is that I need to change the db name, and username.  If I simply backup/restore, the schema remains using the old name.

I tried everything, but it was late...I'll try again.

Cheers

May 17, 2011 @ 12:52
    LeaUK

Hi

Finally I beat Umbraco/SQL2008 Express into submission (nearly).  The issue is made slightly more complicated by the fact that a web hosting panel 'WebsitesitePanel' is also involved.

Here's what I ended up doing (and a big thanks for the 'Publish Entire Site' tip).

1.  Using SQL 2008 management tools made a backup of previous db

2.  Restored backup to new db name (matching new domain name)

NOTE:  Change the file path/names of the mdb and ldb and also logical names to match new domain name

3.  Created new user to match new domain name

4.  Mapped the new user to the new db

5.  Changed the default schema of the new user (user located under the new db) to the schema name of the previous db user.  It appears that the schema name cannot be changed and will always be named after the original db username.

6.  Ensure the db user is 'db_owner

7.  Copy the complete web root from previous domain to new domain

8. Modified web.config to match new db and new dbuser

9.  At this point if you access the site Umbraco displays the welcome page rather than the real site.  So publish the entire site once again.

10.  Now import the db and db user into WebsitePanel using the Import Resources feature

11.  Voila.

What I've learnt...

That you don't seem to be able to change the schema name from the previous db user.

When creating a test Umbraco installation on a domain, and if the db and dbuser are named after a domain name, ensure they are named appropriately first - ie with the final target domain name - then the schema will match nicely too.

Umbraco manages the db/db user name changes quite well so don't be scared.

Lea

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft