Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• WASupport 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 17, 2011 @ 10:44
    WASupport

Installing backup of client umbraco on local system

Hello all,

I've been trying to install umbraco on a local server that mirrors the client's system (for some development), but I'm getting some errors when it comes to accessing the backend login; the login is validated and logged in the umbraco logs as a successful login, but then logs the user out and redirects back to the login page. Previously it just looked like the login page was redirecting back to itself, but fiddler revealed that it was actually authenticating the login.

I took a backup of thier databases and restored it on a local server, as well as taking the system files, and changed the web.config to reference the correct database.

Also, I've opened the permissions for the network service on the folders, and all sub-folders/files (as well as in c:\windows\temp because of a search.xlst error I was getting).

Because this system needs to mirror the client's system I can't upgrade umbraco, but the version is 4.5.2, on Windows 7, using IIS7.

I can provide any further information as required

• LeaUK 34 posts 55 karma points
    May 17, 2011 @ 12:53
    LeaUK

Did you copy their web root file folder structure and deply on your local machine?

May 17, 2011 @ 13:05
    WASupport

Apologies, because I'm quite new to Umbraco, but what's deply?

And yes, I copied their setup as close as I could. The only difference is the server reference is now set to the local server the DB has been backed up on, rather than their server.

• LeaUK 34 posts 55 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 09:08
    LeaUK

Deply = Deploy, sorry.

Sounds like there's something wrong with Umbraco's username/password login and I don't know how that's managaged but I think it's within xml files.  Also I'm sure I've seen this during my troubles when there was db problems.  When you restored the db are you using the same username and db user name?  Have you mapped the user to the db and granted db_owner also the new user may need to be mapped to the Umbraco schema.  I used SQL2008 Management tools to acheive this.

Lea

May 22, 2011 @ 17:34
    WASupport

Sorry, I should of recognised the likeness. But yes, I have.

I had to create a new DB user but I registered it as the db_owner against the umbraco database and I've changed the references to the previous db_owner in the config xml files to the new user created

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    May 22, 2011 @ 17:55
    Lesley

As Lea mentioned, the db schema may need looking at. A good test is to try to connect to the database via SQL Management Studio with your umbracouser + password. If you can login, can you open and edit a table?

May 22, 2011 @ 18:02
    WASupport

Yes I managed to access the DB with the umbraco user credentials and I could open and edit tables.

Could it be something related to the authenticated users in the umbracoUsers table? I'm using credentials that are listed in that table to try to log into the backend login page.

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    May 22, 2011 @ 18:14
    Lesley

Are the passwords "hashed" or "clear"? You'll see this setting in web.config for UsersMembershipProvider. Try setting to "Clear" and then changing the password in the database table for one of the users. Can you log in to umbraco then?

May 22, 2011 @ 18:27
    WASupport

It wasn't previously set, but I did set it to "clear" and then updated a password via a script on the database, but I get the same redirect.

I had an issue when I first brought back the website. It looked as if the nodes needed regenerating but I had this same issue so I user a workaround that is detailed here (http://blog.darren-ferguson.com/2010/11/2/working-around-the-'no-nodes'-issue-with-umbraco-45x) on a custom noNodes page. This appears to have worked, and since I get the homepage, but I can't navigate to any pages at all (except the backend login, which is redirecting). Could any of this affected the website?

May 27, 2011 @ 12:56
    WASupport

bump

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft