Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam 6 posts 27 karma points
    May 24, 2011 @ 20:44
    Adam

Installing Umbraco as a separate application to an existing website.

Hello all,

I'm new to Umbraco and I am currently  researching Umbracos CMS capabilities as a way to supplement our existing website.  I'm hoping that it will be a more efficient way for our writers to publish blogs, newsletters, etc.

Our existing site is quite large (100s of subdirectories off the root). The site also has lots of custom code, as well as its own membership code (not a forms membership provider). I've been researching Umbraco and love it capabilities, but, I am struggling to find a efficient way to integrate it into our existing site.  My first inclination was to add Umbraco as a application under our website (in IIS).  After installing Umbraco as a  application under a test site (which is kind of working).  I noticed a few obvious issues, mainly with the relative paths to image, css, and js files.  I also noticed that some of the functional pages in the content publisher/editor are also not working (probably wrong path).

I've searched the forums and found several people asking similar questions - Can Umbraco be integrated into an existing website by adding it as a separate application?  Many of the answers say this is not supported. Or, they say that it will be supported in a future version 4.x. 

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know if adding Umbraco as an application to an existing website is supported in the latest release?
    2. Is there a better way to do this?

From what I've read, it looks like it is possible to install Umbraco in the same directory as the existing website.  However, the sheer size or our existing website and the custom code and configurations seem to make this a daunting task. For SEO purposes, I've also been told that a subdomain is not an option (example: can't use-  umbraco.mysite.com or blogs.mysite.com).

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

• Sherry Ann Hernandez 320 posts 344 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 16:00
    Sherry Ann Hernandez

For our testing environment i've used a subdomain you can check it at dev.florahospitality.com. but then the umbraco installation is in a different folder not inside our existing website.

When you use umbraco as a virtual directory in IIS 6.0 It's having a problem getting the right path to css,images. I encountered that. So what I do is use the umbraco as the default website or you can use ultidev cassini web server or install the microsoft web matrix which I think is better than using iis 6.0 for configuring your site in a development environment.

May 26, 2011 @ 20:51
    Adam

Sherry,

Thanks for the input.  However, I'm not sure this will solve my problem.  I want to use Umbraco as a way to supplement the content on our existing site without changing any of the site existing code and not using subdomains (example of what we would like: http://mysite/oneofseveralsub100subdirectories/ & http://mysite/umbracocontent). Preferably this would be done by installing Umbraco as a separate application. Do you know if adding Umbraco as an application to an existing website is supported?

Thanks.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 15:53
    Adam

This actually did not solve my problem.  I mistakenly hit the solve checkmark as the icon made it appear to be already checked and I wanted to uncheck it.  Can't unsolve....

• Winston 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 21:55
    Winston

Adam -

I'm trying to do the same for my project.  Did you ever have any luck with this?

• Sam 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 03:01
    Sam

I would love to know if this has been solved - would like to do the same

• Peter Drayton 29 posts 49 karma points
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 16:53
    Peter Drayton

Ditto!

Have the same issue.

Developed as a stand alone CMS from WebMatrix (i.e. http://localhost:24443)

But When going live the Umbraco application will sit on http://www.themainsite.com/blog/

Anyone had any joy?

• Sam 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 20:40
    Sam

I understand it is an absolute no go with Umbraco.  N2 appears to be the only cms solution that allows itself to be added into an existing site.  It appears to have a decent API.  I'm playing with it now - no snags as of yet.

• Bruno Yukio Okamoto 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 17:15
    Bruno Yukio Okamoto

Hi,

I just migrated an asp classic site to umbraco.

It all works fine.

Now I have to migrate the umbraco site to production, but my question is the same here.

I need to put the umbraco site as a child application under the main site (asp classic).

Using: umbraco v 4.7.1.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4393.24044)

DB: SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1

Is it possible and is there a tutorial how to do this?

thx

Bruno

• Carmen Lai 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 09:01
    Carmen Lai

Hi, trying to use Umbraco to edit our existing website, while maintaning the subdomain (without umbraco.mysite.com). Is it possible?

Many thanks in advance.

Carmen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft